5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What does a tune up consist of?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 05:38 PM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

Default What does a tune up consist of?

I know its a stupid thing to ask, but everyone tells me to do a thourough tune up on my car. Well i tell them what i have done they keep telling me to do a tune up.
Well what do you guys suggest in a tune up for my car. it is lagging and has a rough idle. So tell me what i should do for a tune up?
Old 08-24-2004, 06:21 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What does a tune up consist of?

I would start by replacing your air filter and spark plugs, and adjusting the timing. Is your car fuel injected or carburated?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:38 PM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

i have replaced my air filter, spark plugs, rotor, cap , timed the car. what else is there? tell me and ill do it hell anything to make my car run better. should i check o2 snesors, egr valve, any lil goofy things like that?
Old 08-26-2004, 04:15 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

clean the tb, egr and idle air thing realy good with some carb cleaner. try unplugging the o2s to see if the car runs better. if it does, replace the o2's. since you already did the plugs cap and rotor, id just get a new coil and some msd super conductor wires. that way your getting the most spark possible. try getting a new belt too, if you need a tune up, most likely the belt is old as well. also try running some STP fuel system cleaner (not fuel injector cleaner) through the tank. that stuff works great for me!

EDIT: are your spark plugs gapped right?
Old 08-26-2004, 04:28 PM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

im cleaning the TB, egr and throllte right now should i replace the gaskets since i have them off??? there was only one gasket that was there and it was from the TB to the throttle positioning sensor? should there be one in between the EGR spacer and TB? i will try the thing with the o2s tonight once i get done changintg my oil. just rplaced the coil as well so i doubt its that. what else can i do ??
Old 08-26-2004, 05:13 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ya, there should be a gasket between the tb and egr, and another one between the egr and intake manifold
Old 08-26-2004, 06:11 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

don't forget to change the fuel filter too! and check all the vacuum lines and hoses to make sure they are secure and not dried up and cracked causing them to leak. a new PCV valve is usually a part of a tune up too, so don't forget that either.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:04 PM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

i went to the parts store and convienently they sell a TB gasket pack whcih comes with them all. i have it back together and everything. it was pretty damn dirty,. fuel filter i already have replaced as it was clogged and shot the lines off one day. pcv valve is the only thing ihavent replaced. what vaccumm lines might ihave missed i used the carb cleaner technique i was told to do and didnt find any leaks anywhere. my pcv valve likes to pop out all the time. i have taped it in a couple of times but still does? could these be a potential problem for my lagging stang?
Old 08-26-2004, 11:57 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: diablo9861

what vaccumm lines might ihave missed i used the carb cleaner technique i was told to do and didnt find any leaks anywhere. my pcv valve likes to pop out all the time. i have taped it in a couple of times but still does? could these be a potential problem for my lagging stang?
Yes they could. When you changed the PCV valve, did you check to see if the hose going to it was plugged up or not? If you didn't, go back and check it to make sure you are getting a good vacuum at the PCV when you hold your finger over the end of it. If it don't feel strong, then remove the hose from the fitting underneath the upper intake and take the hose off and clean it out good with some carb cleaner too. in this same area under the upper intake, there are several smaller vacuum lines that go to things like the fuel pressure regulator and the EGR valve, in addition to another larger hose that goes to the brake booster and the MAP sensor. check all of these for leaks and there are two more under the front side of the upper intake to go down past the distributor to the evaporative cannister and something else, don't remember what right now.
Never heard of the fuel filter plugged so bad that it blew the hoses off of it! That could have started a nasty fire in a garage, you're lucky that it didn't catch the car on fire. Based on that fact, I would suggest you check into getting the injectors professionally cleaned in place on the engine. They make a kit to do this if you want to try it yourself too but you need the special tools to break the fuel line fittings in order to use it.
hope this helps some more.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:49 PM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

So i should check the pcv hose and see if it has vaccuum? is this with the valve and fitting on or just the hose? after that should i go ahead and remove the upper intake and clean out all of the hoses and fittings even if i do have good vaccuum with the hoses? might as well right. also i was lucky my car didnt catch on fire ha. sometimes i wish it would have. lol. What would getting the injectors professioinally cleaned do? would i take this to a normal shop or the dealer, or would it be better off getting new injecotrs and fuel rail? i believe i have the specail round tools that disconects the fuel lines from the upper plenum if thats what you mean. so would i be better off doing it myself if possible? thanks alot roundman and others

Quick Reply: What does a tune up consist of?