5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:18 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: nitrous

ORIGINAL: frdmstng1986GT

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: silver91gt

spraying off the line wont blow it up.
I spray off the line with a 125 shot.
well whoopty ****ing doo.... i wasnt talking about you OR your car.. but i was referring to my friend vinny who was only running a 75 shot and blew his motor at the line at New England Dragway on 9/30/06... i even heard the pop
How often do you go to new england dragway adder? it's like 35 mins from my house.
only twice this past year, but ill be there a bit more often this year... im making more money, have a car thats ALMOST ready for cosistant 12's... and weekends off
Old 11-24-2006, 11:35 AM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

150? nice... yea im gonna stick w. 70-80... just a little something... so go dry? i no u cant spray till ike 3k right? and what kinda fuel upgrades will i need for a 70-80 shot? will my timing need changed? its not advanced, its at stock.
With the amount you want to spray a either kit is fine.
I'm not going to get into a wet vs dry nitrous war. I agree with many of the comments.
They both have pros and cons...that's why I went blown. It all depends on how much you want to spray.
Both wet and dry require a fuel system to keep up with the demands of the nitrous.
IMO, in addition to stepping up your ignition and fuel system, get an electronic rpm/window activated nitrous box. This way if for some unforeseen reason the rpms drop too low, whether it's dry or or wet it'll shut the system off and not hurt any parts.
Once you get into spraying 150 or more, then you need to really watch your tune.
When spraying dry, on a fuel injected motor, each cylinder is not seeing the same amount nitrous. One may see more, another may see less. So unless you have an EGT or wideband O2 hooked up to the each cylinder the one that see's more nitrous is going to be lean. So it's completely dependent on your injectors. Make certain they're in tip top condition.
Since a wet system introduces fuel at the same place as the nitrous, at the nozzle or plate, it eliminates the dependency on the injector variable or if an injector clogs, fails or fuel pump fails.
Once you start spraying 150 or more is where a wet system is prefered, but it won't hurt you if you go wet with less.
The big dogs who spray multiple stages of nitrous use a wet system, only because their fuel system for the motor wouldn't keep up.
They also have direct port injection.
But for what you're going to spray dry is fine. That's why they make it.
Good luck and happy spraying.

Old 11-24-2006, 12:53 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

well whoopty ****ing doo.... i wasnt talking about you OR your car.. but i was referring to my friend vinny who was only running a 75 shot and blew his motor at the line at New England Dragway on 9/30/06... i even heard the pop
did he do it on launch? or b4 ?

what went went wrong ? and how would a wet kit have not done the same thing ?
Old 11-24-2006, 01:04 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

did he do it on launch? or b4 ?

what went went wrong ? and how would a wet kit have not done the same thing ?
you are completely missing the point here... both of you

nitrous is only safe in the hands of those that are capabe of using it
Old 11-24-2006, 01:25 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

nx kit 35-150 kit very adjustable
Old 11-24-2006, 03:16 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

a couple posts made mention of carbd spraying...not to hijack the thread er nothin, but whats the deal with juicing a carbd motor¿
Old 11-24-2006, 07:36 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

I have a NX wet kit I run about a 100 shot right now .My nitrous system hase it own fuel supply (small 2gal cel with a 140 holleyFP).

they FP fotr my nitrous is only activated when I turn my nitorus on . Even though I only have sprayed my cat 3 times I never really had no problems with it . As long as you dont rob fuel form you engins fuel suppy and run the proper timing and plugs you should be fine
Old 11-24-2006, 08:24 PM
black88lx

i love how so many people run and open their mouths when they have no clue what the hell theyre talking about.Its all the same chit,"i know a guy who knows a guy who blew his engine up cuz he uses a wet kit" if you do not have nitrous, if you do not know anything about nitrous, and you have never used nitrous, do everyone on the boards a favor and STFU, seriously,

First the stock pump, is not ideal for nitrous. its at a comfortable zone with just a STOCK engine, the pumps age has nothing to do with why it isnt sufficient

Dry kits are easy to hook up, and are generally used more often for a small shot.

Wet kits are used for bigger shots of nitrous, and are generally safer than dry kits, when installed, tuned, and used properly.

YOU CAN use nitrous off the line, as long as the tune is correct, timing , fuel and WOT is achived.

YOU CANNOT spray nitrous at anything other than WOT, if you do , expect engine damage.

Dont try to be a genious and mix different jets, then what the manufacturer recomends, there is no need to use a richer fuel jet, because you think it will be safer. That is what the companies spend millions of dollars on product developement for, they know what will work and what will not work,

The rule for nitrous is 2 degrees of timing removed for every 50 horsepower shot, now not all cars are the same, a H/C/I mustang with nitrous on a cold nite, mite allow you to run a little more timing then on a warmer night. So tuning is very important.

If you do not know what your doing, dont experiment outside the manufacturers specifications unless you are prepared to pay for a rebuild.

If you have a 5 speed, it should be considered mandatory to have a window swithc, the 80-90 dollar investment will save you thousands of dollars when you miss a 2-3 shift, and bounce of the limiter.
a window switch will allow you to set desired rpms for nitrous to engage and disengage.

well that is all for know, if you have any more questins feel free to ask. hope this helps
Old 11-24-2006, 08:25 PM
black88lx

forget it, it worked.