5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

can i rebuild my own engine????

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:40 AM
FoMoCo
2nd Gear Member

Default can i rebuild my own engine????

do i have to pay and take my 351w to an engine builder in order to rebuild it? I work in an auto part store, have books/manuals and i can borrow any special tools to build the engine. I did take the engine apart myself and left the bare block.

But, of course, i will leave all the machine work to the pros. I need your advice. Im going to swap the 5.0 for a 5.8. But my block isn't a roller block. Does that matter. It's basically a 351w from a '72 Ford Torino. I know that roller blocks can tolerate more aggressive cams.

Can anyone clear out the pros and cons if any between the two blocks? but back to the questions.

1. can I rebuild myself?
2. can i reach my goal of 300rwhp with a non roller block?
Old 11-26-2006, 12:48 AM
ddeaton66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: can i rebuild my own engine????

IMO anyone with normal mechanical aptitude and the ability to interpret the manual can rebuild their own engine. Of course machince work requires special mahinery, tools and skills but you already realize that. The only way to know for sure is give it a try. I did my first one @ 16, I would just reccomend that you take it slow, read and re-read each step before you actually do it.

Yes you can get 300rwhp with a non-roller block with the right match of components. Do alot of research and know exactly what you want from your vehicle when making those decisions.

Luck
Old 11-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Simon9350
1st Gear Member

I agree i did my first one in high school shop class. Its not that hard just follow directions and check your clearances at least twice. Also if you can start the engine before you put it in your car DO. Nothing sucks worse than putting it back only to find somethings wrong. Just take your time, if you get pissed walk away for a minute Good Luck
Old 11-26-2006, 01:00 AM
FoMoCo
2nd Gear Member

i was thinking of going with a stock bottom end. Nothing really fancy, ( which is a word i use to replace expensive). just the stock crank if it can still be used, some forged pistons, a borderline street cam kit, some AFR heads, a weiand stealth lower intake, and maybe a holley street avenger 650-750cfm carb.

Do these parts sound ok for a good 300rwhp? any advice on other parts i can use?

How is my gas mileage gonna be? maybe 18mpg? yeah right......

Thanks for every piece of advice.....
Old 11-26-2006, 01:08 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

can i rebuild my own engine????
u got big *****?

youll need a cherry picker, a truck floor jack and two jack stands, be prepared to break exhaust studs and have the emission piping bolts snap in the head, on the rear, etc etc,.

but we can help you

and out of all normal running 302's , I have yet to find one with worn bearings or rings , even with high mileage. Id put a top end kit on her and save the rebuild for later.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:11 AM
ddeaton66
3rd Gear Member

For 300rwhp a stock bottom end will prolly be ok, but make sure you use forged pistons. Also with the H/C/I you'll probably exceed your rwhp goal. But as you choose your components you need to think about what you want out of your car. Where do you want to make the most power? Top end or down lower, the 351 is gonna have plenty more torque than the 302 anyway. There will also be alot of odds and ends. A 351w conversion isn't just dropping in a 351w engine. Check out this to start you off on your research.

https://mustangforums.com/m_1121694/tm.htm

Keep in mind you are planning a carb so some things will be different.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:14 AM
FoMoCo
2nd Gear Member

it could be the big *****, or maybe it might be the budweiser talking.......
Old 11-26-2006, 01:21 AM
FoMoCo
2nd Gear Member

my only goal in mind is street racing. I want to be able to take on any street car. even with my 92 5-speed gt i don't back down from anybody and it only has 3.73's ac and smog delete. explorer intakes.

but anyway, i just want to eat ricers alive and leave camaros thinkin WTF HAPPENED........
Old 11-26-2006, 01:42 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

S-A Design, has some great videos on rebuilding. It is a book & DVD combo. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 11-27-2006, 12:40 AM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

built my first 302 with a haynes book. take it slow and refer to this site for help.good luck man feels good driving a car that you built yourself.

Quick Reply: can i rebuild my own engine????