5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

possible new setup

Old 08-26-2004, 06:29 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Default possible new setup

just the other day me and a friend were talking about the similarities and differences between his car (an 87 turbo supra) and mine ( 91 5.0). his car is slightly modded and would kill mine but we discussed the idea of having a twin turbo 5.0. it seems easy to do at first,

buy equal length shorty headers, construct a flange to mate each turbo to each header.
construct a down pipe to the mufflers, construct a piping system to send the charge of air from each turbo back to a central pipe which mates to the intercooler and finally from the intercooler to the TB.

the same flange that adapts the turbo to the shorty header will also contain a wastegate which is required to limit boost pressure as to not overboost my turbo.

a blowoff valve will be used to vent the excess pressure right before the TB as to not damage the butterfly valve.

my questions are this the following, i need an oiling system for both turbos, can i use the oil pressure sending unit as a source of oil for both turbos or must i drill and tap the block for a good source of oil pressure?

another question is how do i manage the air/fuel mixture, what system do i use? if i run 6 psi of turbo boost on each turbo how can i calculate the perfectly stoichiometric quantity of air/fuel that i need. i know i will need a bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, bigger maf and such but will the maf understand what it reads? boost instead of vacuum?

i can setup the hardware but i dont know how to setup the electrical and CPU/fuel system. what is the easiest way to do this?

also i want to leave everything stock, this means same heads, cam, intake manifold etc...

also, i choose this route because its better on gas than a supercharger, i can run on pure vacuum when cruising and the power is there when i need it.

the turbos will be small so they can spool up quicker, expecially with a low revving V8.

thanks for any help.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:16 AM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: possible new setup

You can go about this a couple of ways.
First,your oil port for the sending unit will work fine.(hi volume pump though).Make sure your return is large enough to drain the oil.It foams up after it comes out of the turbo so i would recommend around 5/8" to 3/4" return.
As far as your tune!
Well you can buy the AFM unit and the optional gm grand national map sensor as it will tell your computer how much boost your receiving and it will work great.
Or you can go to a dyno shop and have them tune your car on the dyno and they will program your computer to retard your timing as rpm's go up.The only problem with that is the computer does'nt know what boost is.The dyno tune works very well and can get the most out of your car,the more pulls they do the better the tune.
I just finished a turbo car with my friend on his 89 lx coupe with a turbo from a dodge cummings pickup.should work great.

Good luck

Rye
Old 08-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

ok cool so the oil return line should be fatter. but where does it return too lol..?

also, easier said than done about the buick map sensor, how would i mate this to the ford CPU!? oh man this sounds complicated. i think im just gonna wing it, ill buy a bigger maf and push the pressure up on the fuel regulator and hope i get a rich enough mixture as boost kicks in... oh well
Old 08-27-2004, 09:38 AM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

Just have it dyno tuned ,they will take care of you.cost is around $400.00 -$600.00 depending how many pulls is needed.but it's worth it when your done.
As far as the gn map sensor goes,you would use it with the AFM setup.
Doing a turbo setup isnt that hard at all once you get into it.
The oil return line should be roughly 3 times the size of the supply line because of how the oil comes out of the turbo.You might consider using synthetic oil as well.
Once your done though---you just cant get over the sound,it brings smiles to your face.I can give you a lot of help if you need it.just ask.

Rye
Old 08-27-2004, 12:42 PM
JohnChule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dbeck002

ok cool so the oil return line should be fatter. but where does it return too lol..?

The same place it comes from, the oil pan.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

hey now lets not get too technical rofl...

i mean, i know it comes from the oil pressure gauge sending unit but where does it drop off at? do i need to drill a hole in the oil pan and use a fitting for the return?

this twin turbo setup seems really easy actually, only hard part is the fuel delivery and CPU programming. i can pay someone to do that hehehe...
Old 08-27-2004, 05:44 PM
JohnChule
2nd Gear Member

Drill two holes in the oil pan, one on each side. You will need gaskets and real good fittings so it doesnt leak. Good luck with the project.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:46 PM
JohnChule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dbeck002
this twin turbo setup seems really easy actually, only hard part is the fuel delivery and CPU programming. i can pay someone to do that hehehe...
No its not that easy, after you start the project your gonna say **** its not as easy as I thought! lol.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:55 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

You can dump the oil back in through a new hole in a valve cover. I think that would be easier than doing the oil pan route. Oil from the rocker arms returns from there and that's where you FILL your oil, so why not?
Old 08-28-2004, 05:25 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

not a bad idea, ill just have to make a hole in the valve cover and construct an airtight fitting for the oil return. my question is will the engine be starved of oil now that two turbos are being oiled? for the oil pressure sending unit, can i install a T-fitting so that i can still have my oil pressure gauge and have the turbo oiling system?

thanks guys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: possible new setup