5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Finally got my Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 10:04 AM
fordhorsepower

Default Finally got my Mustang

I've wanted a Mustang since I was a kid and was going to order a new one this coming spring, but after looking for a couple years I found this '92 GT hiding in someones garage (the Fox bodies are what got me into Mustangs originally), hadn't been driven in 3 years, has never seen rain or snow, totally rust free (except on the exhaust from sitting for so long and only started now and then) with about 36,000 original miles on it. It has 4:10 gears, GT40 heads and intake, shorty headers, h-pipe and flowmaster mufflers. Has a small oil leak at the pan gasket (probably from sitting for 3 years) and a leak at the header gasket (this winter I will be replacing the exhaust with ceramic shorty headers and stainless h-pipe and flowmasters) plus a small dent (barely noticable) on the bottom of the passenger door which I will get fixed when I decide on a cowl hood. Let me know what you think, I found this forum and love it, been reading it for a few months now, tons of info.

A few quick questions too, I was going to replace the oil pan gasket seal, should I get a performance oil pan while I'm down there? And can I get the gasket in there without pulling the motor? It looks like I can undo the engine mounts and jack one side up to squeeze out the pan.

Also, I am looking for new wheels and i have the 4 lug set up, either 17" or 18" and I really like the cobra replica wheels which I can get in a 4 lug but, my question is, with some drag racing and more horsepower (4-500ish probably) would I ever really need the 5 lug if the Cobra wheels can be found in 4 lug? I plan to get rear wheel disc eventually on either set up but upgrading to 5lug seems a bit pricey, on 50resto they sell a nice kit for $399 but not sure if that'll work with most wheels.

Anyways, sorry for the long first post, but I'm sure there will be plenty more.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:06 AM
fordhorsepower

Default RE: Finally got my Mustang

Here is another picture of it.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:30 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Nice and clean, very rare find.

As for the oil pan, I'm upgrading to a 7qt myself, its not like its gonna hurt anything...

Installing it is a bit more tricky without taking the motor out. once you unbolt the motor mount(both of them) and raise the motor, you will actually want to unbolt the oil pump and pickup tube, otherwise your not gonna get that pan out.

Once you get the new pan, sit the pump and pickup tube inside the pan, position the pan back under the motor and re-install the pump and pickup tube. then just secure the pan back up in place.

Getting the oil pump driveshaft in place is always the hard part. i recommenc taking the distributor out and dropping the driveshaft in place with a magnet.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:37 AM
88ragtop
3rd Gear Member

Wow, looks good to me. And of course i love red. I think you did good! What color is the interior?
Old 11-27-2006, 11:24 AM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

Nice and clean, very rare find.

As for the oil pan, I'm upgrading to a 7qt myself, its not like its gonna hurt anything...

Installing it is a bit more tricky without taking the motor out. once you unbolt the motor mount(both of them) and raise the motor, you will actually want to unbolt the oil pump and pickup tube, otherwise your not gonna get that pan out.

Once you get the new pan, sit the pump and pickup tube inside the pan, position the pan back under the motor and re-install the pump and pickup tube. then just secure the pan back up in place.

Getting the oil pump driveshaft in place is always the hard part. i recommenc taking the distributor out and dropping the driveshaft in place with a magnet.
i didnt have to do any of that...i had to replace my oil pan gasket also, and all i had to do was brace the motor up, take the k-member off, change out the gasket, and put it back together. i didnt have to mess with the pump or tube or distributor or anything.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:32 AM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

looks good, wanna sell it?
Old 11-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Arno
2nd Gear Member

What did you pay for it?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:37 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: chath_brick

i didnt have to do any of that...i had to replace my oil pan gasket also, and all i had to do was brace the motor up, take the k-member off, change out the gasket, and put it back together. i didnt have to mess with the pump or tube or distributor or anything.
so your gonna try to sit here and tell this guy that its easier to drop the k member.... the entire front subframe... as opposed to taking out the 2 bolts that hold the oil pump on... cmon, lets be realistic here people
Old 11-27-2006, 07:53 PM
fordhorsepower

Hey guys, thanks for the help so far, I'll post more pictures of the interior etc. soon. The interior is black and flawless, it looks like no one sat in it, I felt bad sitting in it for the first few rides without seat covers even though I will be taking the seats out in the next year or two for some five point harness racing seats.
I'm sure i'll be pulling the oil pan in a couple weeks. So that cross member under the pan doesn't just unbolt (I haven't had a chance to look under there much)? Darn engineers (even though my degree says I am one of those). And i guess it couldn't hurt to upgrade the oil pan while I'm under there, looks like some of the performance ones would be easier to undo too since they don't all have the hump and I've heard it's not too uncommon for the original pans to rot from the inside out.

Any opinions on the wheel and lug pattern dilemma? Seems like there are a lot of people still using the 4 lug setup, just worried about when the torque levels start to rise on this car. Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:29 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

I havent had any problems with the 4-lug design, the main problem is the lack of wheel choice

Very nice car BTW

Quick Reply: Finally got my Mustang