5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 10:24 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: ****

ok take it from me, you are very lucky. the actual law is a federal law, no states are exempt. it is illegal to use an offroad hpipe ANYWHERE on public US roads, punishable by fines of up to $10,000 PER CAT. I'm a licensed state inspector for massachusetts, we learned this. read the Catalyst sticker under your hood. BTW, if that sticker isn't there, its a felony.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:25 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

ouch, that hurts, definately put the stock one on and say you didnt know better and its fixed now.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:26 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

ORIGINAL: Red FIVE O
wow.. dude your just the perfect citizen
This has nothing to do with being a "perfect citizen." Just explain to me how it's the cops fault that he was running a car with no cats? How can this be anyone's fault other than the vehicle owners?

i guess it was probably the cop's fault he was speeding too
Old 11-27-2006, 10:28 PM
86/02stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86/02stang

Do you really want to take that chance though? If they catch you, jail time wouldn't be completely out of the question. Read up on the law and see if you can find a loop hole. Personally, I would put some cats on the car and show the judge as soon as you found out that it wasn't legal you got it fixed. Sometimes it is a good idea to just play stupid.
That's a much better idea than to flat out lie. Because no judge is going to believe that the cop was completely mistaken. It's pretty obvious if you have cats or not. If he sees you trying to lie, he will throw everything he can at you. If you at least show an attempt at vomultary compliance, tehy are a LOT more forgiving.
Judges aren't stupid. They are normal people too. Who says he/she doesn't have a cobra sitting in their garage. They know what us car guys are thinking.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:30 PM
BADNOTCH
2nd Gear Member

Put the cats on and plead not guilty. Is he a certified mechanic? Lets see his certification. I had a similar situation but they gave me 10 days to show a legal exhaust. You are guilty if it can be proven in the court, did he take pictures?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:30 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

This has nothing to do with being a "perfect citizen." Just explain to me how it's the cops fault that he was running a car with no cats? How can this be anyone's fault other than the vehicle owners?
+1, it sucks that ya got pinched, but you've got to pay to play. It's a chance you take, no different than speeding...just a bigger fine. That's why I'm looking at an h-pipe with hi-flows. That's just not worth the $$ or the hassle when you run into a problem like this.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:31 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

ok take it from me, you are very lucky. the actual law is a federal law, no states are exempt. it is illegal to use an offroad hpipe ANYWHERE on public US roads, punishable by fines of up to $10,000 PER CAT. I'm a licensed state inspector for massachusetts, we learned this. read the Catalyst sticker under your hood. BTW, if that sticker isn't there, its a felony.
i dont have one
Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 PM
86/02stang
3rd Gear Member

Ghey. just another yhing to fill the quotas. alls i know is if u live in Cali its ill
sry dude not happend to me...yet, atleast.
Fukc dude over a $K?!?!?!?! just saw that.
feel sorry for you, cause you know what that $$$ could be spent on.
Yeah, because it's obviously the cops fault that he was breaking the law. I love how people these days are always trying to find some excuse. It's always someone else's fault... pathetic

jeez im bull****in bout the fact that in the next few yrs your not going to beable to do anything to your car.

Actually in the great state of VA, any type of alteration to the exhaust is illegal. Legally it is supposed to look and sound orignal.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:41 PM
live4motocross11
4th Gear Member

ok well i guess my plan to get an off road h-pipe is outa the question... is a high flow h-pipe with only 2 cats legal to run in wisconsin???
Old 11-27-2006, 10:44 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra
you dont have to go into court to plead not guilty. I'd lie before spending $1000 on that crap
How do they go about having a court date if they don't have to show up in court?

They give you a court date but you can still mark "not guilty" and send it in, and then they give you a later court date. Or at least thats how it works here. Yeah i agree lying is not the best option, I'd do what someone else said and play dumb, and show that you now realize it's illegal and have returned it back to stock equiptment.