5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What head and cam would you recomend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:22 AM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

Default What head and cam would you recomend?

Ok, well my setup is in my sig so. What would yall recomend for me? Im looking for a good head thats not rediculously expensive, preferable <$1000. My car is a DD for which i have a supercharger in mind for the future, and thus the head needs to be readily compatible with a vortech type supercharger as does the cam. What would be your suggestions?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:27 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: What head and cam would you recomend?

used gt40 irons, ported and polished exhaust, pocket ported intakes, stock deck height (if your gonna use a blower otherwise deck for 9:1) and a comp valve job

heads = $300
port work = $600
they will outflow every head out of the box you can can buy, dream up, or fab on a desktop dyno
Old 11-28-2006, 02:27 AM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

oh yah, just wondering, what would you guys estimate the HP would be with everything i have now plus the cam and heads. Just a ball park figure. My cousin, who is no pro, drove it to 14.3 s quarter mile, just incase that might help.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:35 AM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

problem is that i dont know of anyone that i would trust with porting, not to mention thats just so much more work and risk than buying heads you can bolt on right out of the box.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:35 AM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

used gt40 irons, ported and polished exhaust, pocket ported intakes, stock deck height (if your gonna use a blower otherwise deck for 9:1) and a comp valve job

heads = $300
port work = $600
they will outflow every head out of the box you can can buy, dream up, or fab on a desktop dyno
you're joking right
Old 11-28-2006, 02:37 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

those heads + a decent intake, cam (your choice i'm not even gonna talk about them) should see a 12 all day long on some gear and tire behind it.

my buddy w/ that setup (actually less port work than i said, he just had the ex's cleaned up, and decked w/ a valve job) gt40 intake (real one) stock cam, 4.10's , full slicks, '92 GT (full weight) w/ 125 shot dry nitrous went 11.80

expect to pick up about 100 hp if the whole package is done. the stock intake can support 300 hp, so can the stock fuel system, but you'l be holding it back a little bit. at least get an intake on there, w/ a cam in .498 lift range

ebay intakes are cheap, look for a used gt40 (cobra , whatever) try for a ported lower , and you can always sell the upper later if you want a real gt40. a polished cobra upper looks awesome too, but the ported lower is what your after. ported lowers sell for about $125-$175 complete for about $300 used (even w/ ported if you look for it)
Old 11-28-2006, 02:38 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88blackgt
you're joking right

nope

Old 11-28-2006, 02:43 AM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

ok in that case show me some flow #s. i dont care how much theyre ported they arent going to outflow the nicer aftermarket heads, especially when you get bigger than 200ccs

im throwing a huge [sm=bs.gif] on this one
Old 11-28-2006, 03:05 AM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

Yah, i was kinda thinking that. But anyways, doesnt matter because they are out of the question for me anyways. So, back to topic, recomendations?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:07 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

you can put a BS flag on anything you want

what kind of performance will come out of a mild cammed , stock cranked 5.0 and 200 cc heads ???? the question was not asked about a stroker. and i guess i can take a hit on this one, i should have said "outperform" so i'll stand corrected

i'm sorry i have to throw up a big "you need to learn what your talking about b4 you choke on your feet too much" on this one

flow numbers don't really mean $hit anyway, velocity is way more important than air volume. you can put 500 cc heads on there and open up your gasket another 1/4" all the way around, then gasket match it.

bolt on some tires and go scream off some 16.50's

what happened ? did you buy $1500 heads and still going 13's? cuz the air is too slow ?

Quick Reply: What head and cam would you recomend?