5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

My Car Runs Really Good With o2's Unplugged Is This Bad??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 03:59 PM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

Default My Car Runs Really Good With o2's Unplugged Is This Bad??

Well the whole reason why this happened was because when i did the whole exasht on my car it went through a time where it was popping and just all around running like crap. (Put in new o2's when i got the new exasht) so i went threw all hell to see what was wrong. Bought all new spark plugs, New EGR Valve, New Heat Sensor, New Throttle Sensor, New Fuel Filter, Check and changed timing, used like 20 to 25 bucks worth of fuel injector cleaner, took it to a shop and they wasted my money and changed the coil. So i just lost my mind for awhile there and then i went under the car and unplugged the o2 sensors (kept them in the pipes). And bang the car runs beutiful idles beutiful just all around great. WHAT THE HELL?????haha
Old 08-27-2004, 04:55 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: My Car Runs Really Good With o2's Unplugged Is This Bad??

Ummm how would you propose the ECU is going to know if the car is running lean or rich? Im not sure what your problem was but if you unplugged the 02 sensors used for a/f adjustment then your driving a ticking time bomb.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:22 PM
LLADNAR
1st Gear Member

well he won't go lean becuase with the 02s not plugged in the computer goes into a safe mode which knocks back timing and adds more fuel to mkae it run super rich ,,so i am sure gas milage has suffered as a result. you may want to check out your fuel pressure to make sure that low pressure wasn't causeing the problem before and now that the computer is adding more fuel because of safe mode it has brought back a state of normalcy to you fuel system.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:51 PM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

hmmm well i mean it ran fine before and then i did the exasht mods (which should have done nothing to the car for fuel and such) and then it started to do that and they were new o2's and it runs great now. I Just dont know. hmmmm damn car i love it though
Old 08-27-2004, 09:17 PM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

just thought i would add my imput, Were u having prblems with a rought idle or anything??? if so i had the same problem and i just took apart my TB, egr and all that **** cleaned it out which was caked with crap once i got it clean put it back together and i have the best idle i have ever seen with my car, sits just below 1000 rpms doesnt jump or anything. usually it was putttering around 500. so you might want to do that. i have also found out that the pcv valve and the little filter screen with it can cause this sort of back up in the TB, so if you ahve that problem, try cleaning the tb out, as well as check the screen and pcv valve. just thought i would add my 2 cents since i just had the same problem and now its fixed. On to my next problem HAHA
Old 08-28-2004, 01:15 AM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

call ford see what they have to say about it but check ur idle control valve cause my idle was all ****ed up to and my machanic told me it was that so i changed it and now its good
Old 08-28-2004, 04:26 AM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

hmm well i mean it was perfect like the only thing was the car was running like all out **** popping and such. Idle was not bad. Now it runs perfect. And then when i did my intake manifold and such i redid my vaccuums and such and now it feels like new ahh.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:38 AM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

What exhaust mods did you do, I assume the orignal pipe was 2 1/4 inch diameter. This is just an idea but if you went and put monster pipes on with no cats, or with high flow cats, you might not have enough back pressure which will make the engine run like **** unless you put in a bigger throttle body and everything that goes along with that. This is just my idea, a lot of people dont know how much back pressure actually affects how the engine might run. That also might explain why your car is running better without the O2 sensors, because now that you have removed them, your computer is dumping fuel into the engine, which I assume would happen if you were to change the throttle body, which is what people do when they take out cats and put wider pipes in. A lot of people say to me, "yeah man put like 3 inch pipes in, take out the cats, you get more FLOW your engine will run better" but after talking to a few mechanical engineers i find out that by removing cats and putting wider pipes on your taking away back pressure, which basically means you have way too much going out and not enough going into your engine. Maybe Im wrong, just a guess.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:45 PM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

hey look at my signature at the bottom?
Old 08-29-2004, 11:13 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

yeah its probly b/c you have no cats then, hell if it runs better, leave them unpluged, but it may gum up something