5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Check this out.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Check this out.

Yeah, some stock bikes do 10's. A ZX14 only needs an a new ignition module to do 9's. I know what you mean though. You can put a lot of money in a domestic motor. But what you can do to bike motors can get really pricey. Especially when you try and get race quality products so you can hang with the "big boys". But there are more reasons than just lighter internals for that high RPM redline. I mean yes, the internals lighter, but it isnt just because there is less, it is because they are better. Plus they are DOHC'd some chain driven, some gear driven.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:09 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i agree there are other reasons they rev high, weight makes the biggers difference, the other stuff just adds up to make the a difference, most of the other things on they're own won't make much of a difference... if only we could get our 5.0's to spin to 15k rpm's now that would be some power
Old 11-28-2006, 06:09 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Evil_F

Yeah, some stock bikes do 10's. A ZX14 only needs an a new ignition module to do 9's. I know what you mean though. You can put a lot of money in a domestic motor. But what you can do to bike motors can get really pricey. Especially when you try and get race quality products so you can hang with the "big boys". But there are more reasons than just lighter internals for that high RPM redline. I mean yes, the internals lighter, but it isnt just because there is less, it is because they are better. Plus they are DOHC'd some chain driven, some gear driven.

all of this is true, but alot of the high revving nature of a modern motorcycle motor is due to the fack of a big bore, short stroke.. wich yields great high rpm hp but sacrifices bottom end power.. also.. with the short stroke comes a smaller connecting rod to crank angle. the larger the angle the more torque produced... and vice versa.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:31 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I'm in the process of breaking in a new motor. I've been romping on it when it's warmed up and it seems to be doing well. I didn't spend a lot of $ on the rebuild, so if it does fail, then it's not a huge loss. It's only got around 100 miles or so on it now b/c I've had other issues w/ the car, but I'm thinking that being hard on it and varying rpm's does work well.

EDIT: I've also known a few people that ran new motors until they almost overheat. The motors that were done like this ran very well for a long time. One of them was in my g/f's dad's 69 chevelle.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:38 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

I have a friend that does that to every bike he gets and even when he builds an engine, he is kinda a engine guru but he is into hondas. Not like rice ones but he will get a civic to run 12's with out any problems, I never really understood why he breaks all his new engines and bikes in like that but now I understand
Old 11-28-2006, 07:40 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

i also wanted to add that this method does seem to work very well for him
Old 11-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

Honda bikes, & Honda cars have nothing in common. They don't even use the same logo.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:25 AM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Evil_F

Honda bikes, & Honda cars have nothing in common. They don't even use the same logo.
and your statement and this forum have nothing in common
Old 11-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

O'.... personal attacks... I can understand how you would realize that we have nothing in common after reading your lame posts and advise, then reading mine.

Prime example...
I have a friend that does that to every bike he gets and even when he builds an engine, he is kinda a engine guru but he is into hondas. Not like rice ones but he will get a civic to run 12's with out any problems, I never really understood why he breaks all his new engines and bikes in like that but now I understand
My guess is you have one of those oxymoron good looking sports cars.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:21 AM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

little offended? All i was saying was that what you said about honda cars and bikes having nothing in common, had nothing in common with this topic. It was kind of a joke but I can clearing see that you are better than me now and you can't take any form of criticism. And what was wrong with my post. I was simply supporting the subject. the details that I listed about my friend are to support the fact that he is not just some idiot and he actually knows what he is doing. And I sense some sarcasm in this statement "My guess is you have one of those oxymoron good looking sports cars." I guess you are refering to a honda. Yes I did have a honda, it was my daily driver for about a year. I would beat the sht out of it and it wouldnt fail me, they are great cars but far from my dream car. And if you still have a problem with me, then up yours buddy

Quick Reply: Check this out.