5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

For all those who work with cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:00 AM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: For all those who work with cars

Basically this is how i feel it is, you NEED to go to school nowadays. You can get away with it on older cars like ours, (which is what you are probably basing everything off of as far how hard a car is to diagnose and fix), but modern cars have complicated computer networks, multiplexing connections, digital EVERYTHING etc. Cars now aren't like they used to be, new BMW's are a testament to this. The 7 series cars dont even have a direct link to the wheels from the steering wheel, its all done with electric motors and sensors. Lexus's can parallel park themselves and so on, do you guys really think you could diagnose and fix that if something went wrong? Also, driveability is another you thing you need to go to school to learn. You need to have an understanding of how the cars electronics work and what they are going to do to compensate and mask problems that come up. As far as the nuts and bolts of things, fixing axles, replacing trannys, installing new motors, thats all easy to learn. Also, going to school and learning all of this and going out in the field and working your way up is smarter because it takes WAY less time to become a master tech. After i am done with Ford school it will take me 3 years to become a master technician, if i didn't do ford school it would take me 10 years. Same with BMw, it takes 2 years to become a master tech after their training, it probably takes longer if you dont do it.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:02 AM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kadence

The college grad engineers are mechanical engineers(my major) and they dont work in shops, typicaly if they want to do automotive mechanical engineering, they will design cars for major companys like ford, or another route is designing on a race team, they dont actualy build motors, they design them
I dont know if anyone knew this, but GM engineers spend a year with a master tech before they start actually desiging stuff now. I guess they got sick of dubmasses.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:19 AM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cgbills

This is a question to all the guys who work in high performance automobiles, building engines ECT. What training do you guys have? Do you have engineering degrees, or did you go to a school like Lincoln Tech. What is the pay like, if you don’t mind me asking? My friend has been throwing around going to a technical school like Lincoln tech and doing there high performance program. He wanted to know what type of job he could get with this type of training and what type of pay he could get. Thanks for any input.
I was raised to be a mechanic. I learned every thing from my father. He had an autobody/automotive repair shop and he also worked for a municipality as a mechanic. It's called on the job training.
I took auto shop class in high school and went to a 2 year autobody course at votech school in 11 and 12th grade. I also had metal and wood shop in school.
I am a mechanic working for a municipality and have been for 16 years but I have 25 years experience. I'am 35 and started at the age of 10. I make 60K a year and have excellent medical ins. (don't have to pay for medical) and many vacation/sick/personal days and 14 paid holidays. This is the only real job I've ever had.

I would not waste my time going to LT. If you want to be a mechanic/machinist/engine builder find a shop and learn on the job. If you are still in high school and can get into a votech class or take shop classes that is a good start.

Although I did have some classes in school it was my Dad who led me to where I am today. He was an ace of all trades and taught me everything. I don't have to pay anyone to do anything for me thanks to my Dad. RIP
Old 11-30-2006, 01:23 AM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fourfivefour

ORIGINAL: cgbills

This is a question to all the guys who work in high performance automobiles, building engines ECT. What training do you guys have? Do you have engineering degrees, or did you go to a school like Lincoln Tech. What is the pay like, if you don’t mind me asking? My friend has been throwing around going to a technical school like Lincoln tech and doing there high performance program. He wanted to know what type of job he could get with this type of training and what type of pay he could get. Thanks for any input.
I was raised to be a mechanic. I learned every thing from my father. He had an autobody/automotive repair shop and he also worked for a municipality as a mechanic. It's called on the job training.
I took auto shop class in high school and went to a 2 year autobody course at votech school in 11 and 12th grade. I also had metal and wood shop in school.
I am a mechanic working for a municipality and have been for 16 years but I have 25 years experience. I'am 35 and started at the age of 10. I make 60K a year and have excellent medical ins. (don't have to pay for medical) and many vacation/sick/personal days and 14 paid holidays. This is the only real job I've ever had.

I would not waste my time going to LT. If you want to be a mechanic/machinist/engine builder find a shop and learn on the job. If you are still in high school and can get into a votech class or take shop classes that is a good start.

Although I did have some classes in school it was my Dad who led me to where I am today. He was an ace of all trades and taught me everything. I don't have to pay anyone to do anything for me thanks to my Dad. RIP
I agree with you, you need on the job training, but some stuff you gotta learn in school, like driveability, It would take FOREVER to learn all you need to to be good at that, and thats where the money is. I am sayin you need to go to school to get good faster, you are going to move up faster with previous training under your belt already. It took you like 20 years to become what you are now, i am sayin you can do it faster with school.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:26 AM
ebxgsxr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: musclemustang94

Basically this is how i feel it is, you NEED to go to school nowadays.....
i can kind of agree. but depending on where a person works, places pay for training through their company. my comapny sends guys for special training through hunter and other manufacturers. if teh tech decides to go get ASE's, they pay for the test. if they pass they get $200, not to mention they can negotiate raises. there is not always a need to go to a school before getting into the field /c some palces will give you classes to get better.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Kadence
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackBetty93GT

kadence.....what school do you go to?
and do you enjoy your mechanical engineering major?
well i go to the university of houston, i got accepted in to the university of texas but decided not to go until my junior year, its easier to go to UH now, dont have to pay for room and board. I find it pretty easy but ive always liked math and chem which is mainly what you do, but if youve never liked math and your not good at chemistry and physics then i dont recommend it
Old 11-30-2006, 01:30 AM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ebxgsxr

ORIGINAL: musclemustang94

Basically this is how i feel it is, you NEED to go to school nowadays.....
i can kind of agree. but depending on where a person works, places pay for training through their company. my comapny sends guys for special training through hunter and other manufacturers. if teh tech decides to go get ASE's, they pay for the test. if they pass they get $200, not to mention they can negotiate raises. there is not always a need to go to a school before getting into the field /c some palces will give you classes to get better.
yeah that is true, but its hard to get them to send you if you are young and inexperienced. You gotta be somewhere a long time and they have to konw you are gonna stick around before they invest money in you like that. Thats the catch, my last boss even told me that after i quit. Plus you can get your certs faster and get raises faster if you already have all your training.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i read a good bit of this... and pro, i think i heard my name, lol the dimebag comment, lol. but n e way, im currently in school for automotive work. just a community college, after it im thinking of going somewhere like wyotech, or something, and specializing in highperformance motors. or maybe transmissions. either way, i wanna work at a performance shop, but anything working on cars will still make me happy. i didnt choose to get into it because of the money, its honestly because i love working on cars, and being around car ppl. im honestly the happiest when im under my car, or under the hood. i think my best bet is to get into something now, doing little biotch work(oil changes, etc, pushing paper, idc) and work my way up, learning there, prob more then at school. i also agree that most of what you learn is from first hand experience, but that doesnt get you a degree unfortuanitly, if it did, id be a happy man, lol. so my main reason for going to deltech(cc im going to) is just for that damn piece of paper. theres a performance shop w. in a half hour of my house i just found out about. aperantly they specialize in mustangs, and super duty trucks. i want to go there, prob later this week/next week, and see about a job, again, doing stupid stuff, moping floors, pushing papers, changing oil, w.e. i figure A. itll get me a foot inthe door, and maybe help me get a tech/mechanic job there, and B. its prob gonna pay even w., or better then the shytty 7 bucks an hour i get now. ok, sorry for the long read, but from what i heard, thats my position on it all, and what im doing w. myself.