5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

For all those who work with cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 12:41 AM
cgbills
1st Gear Member

Default For all those who work with cars

This is a question to all the guys who work in high performance automobiles, building engines ECT. What training do you guys have? Do you have engineering degrees, or did you go to a school like Lincoln Tech. What is the pay like, if you don’t mind me asking? My friend has been throwing around going to a technical school like Lincoln tech and doing there high performance program. He wanted to know what type of job he could get with this type of training and what type of pay he could get. Thanks for any input.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:50 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: For all those who work with cars

I've seen alot of Lincoln techs grads, not impressed. I'm sure there are a few that make out ok but for the most part, they end up at places like pep boys.

Not trying to offend anyone, but it is what it is.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:54 AM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

+1 and from my expierience some of the best mechanics dont even work at shops.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:02 AM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

Ill second that, thats why there is such a shortage for techs right now. I got to Universal Tech and I am doing the Ford FACT training and Ill admit that probably 85% of the people that go to automotive schools dont even end up working in this industry. I personally love it, its too much fun. Its mostly the guys with bad attitutdes and what not, guys that spend all their money on beer and cigs and complain that they are poor. I think most entry level techs get paid about 15 an hour. Where i work the more exp. techs make asbout 25. Diesel guys make like 35 usually.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:17 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

a guy i graduated highschool went to lincoln tech, i went to the local community college for a year and a half of automotive training. he came to work at the same shop i'd been working at for a year or so... so far he's been written up twice and he's near gettin fired. doesn't seem like he learned a lot at school.

also, entry-level techs start around 10.50/flat rate hour. upper-end techs make around 20-25/hour.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:46 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

well if you setup a "dealer program" u can make some good cash. still usually nothing more than oil changes and tune ups but its still money and dealer tech's usually make atleast $90/hour

i worked in the bmw spa program detailing cars and was makin $20/hour + tips.. i'd bring home over $100 every night. i miss that job
Old 11-29-2006, 01:48 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

No school really I just hung around a tunner shop and started working there, best school is experince
Old 11-29-2006, 01:49 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: 93 LX FiveO

well if you setup a "dealer program" u can make some good cash. still usually nothing more than oil changes and tune ups but its still money and dealer tech's usually make atleast $90/hour
i worked in the bmw spa program detailing cars and was makin $20/hour + tips.. i'd bring home over $100 every night. i miss that job
NEVER heard of such a thing!!! Where is this?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:50 AM
cgbills
1st Gear Member

So are the guys who work in the industry or do real high performance stuff usual college grad engineers?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:57 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

ORIGINAL: 93 LX FiveO

NEVER heard of such a thing!!! Where is this?
never heard of what pro? of all people.. you lol

Quick Reply: For all those who work with cars