5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

T-5 owners help, cause she like to grind

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:39 PM
FoMoCo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: T-5 owners help, cause she like to grind

Ok this is what happens:

1. push clutch pedal in. and keep it in.
2. Try to shift into 1,2, or R.
3. She grinds.
4. I put it back in N.
5. I try 1,2, or R again, and no grinding sound now,(the pedal was never let go)

right now i think the cable might have 1/4 inch of free play(not the 1/2 thats recommended). and the pedal has to be pushed i think a little more than 3/4 of the way in order to shift into any gear.

any advice on what might be the problem....
Old 11-30-2006, 04:05 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i still think it's the syncro's and the reason all of you have to but it in gear before it will go into reverse is because revers is NOT syncronized, so when you but it in 1st or 5th it lines revers up pretty close (so it goes in) ajdust the clutch if it doens't fix it then it's 50/50 chance that its the clutch or the pilot bearing, but if it was the pilot bearing then it would grind every time going into gear not just the first time
Old 11-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

i still think it's the syncro's and the reason all of you have to but it in gear before it will go into reverse is because revers is NOT syncronized, so when you but it in 1st or 5th it lines revers up pretty close (so it goes in) ajdust the clutch if it doens't fix it then it's 50/50 chance that its the clutch or the pilot bearing, but if it was the pilot bearing then it would grind every time going into gear not just the first time
I learned something new today -

Swirl
Old 11-30-2006, 04:24 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

what that you learned swirl??? that all T-5 should be put into a gear before reverse? or that reverse isn't syncronized? and thats what i'm here for... to learn what i don't know and to teach what i do know, and a manual tranny is where most of my knowledge is
Old 11-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

what that you learned swirl??? that all T-5 should be put into a gear before reverse? or that reverse isn't syncronized? and thats what i'm here for... to learn what i don't know and to teach what i do know, and a manual tranny is where most of my knowledge is
That is has to be put into a gear first -

Somewhere in my head I knew that reverse wasn't syncronized.

Swirl
Old 11-30-2006, 04:33 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

most transmissions don't have a reverse syncro, you have to be stoped anyway to use reverse LOL you can get it into reverse with ouy putting it in another gear but then you'll grind or it just won't go... mine i have to put in first and roll forward about an inch then try reverse or it doesn't work, previous owner ginded revers every day it looked like the dog teeth on the gear are like nubs(all rounded and burred)[:@] lol
Old 11-30-2006, 04:42 PM
FoMoCo
2nd Gear Member

this also happens:

1. Take off in first and when i reach lets say 2500rpm i press the clutch pedal and shift into second. There she goes grinding again. but only 1st to 2nd gear. 2-3 is fine. real smooth.

2. But, if i press the clutch and wait to go from 1st to 2nd for like 6 seconds i wont hear a thing. 2nd goes in real smooth.(but imagine how long 6 seconds are)

Also, in a previous post i mentioned that my car revs up to 2500rpm and stays there. Basically the rpm stays in 2500 wether or not i press the clutch or not. when you press the clutch youre supposed to go back to idle, but my car revs up.

maybe this is causing the grinding. any advice?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoMoCo

this also happens:

1. Take off in first and when i reach lets say 2500rpm i press the clutch pedal and shift into second. There she goes grinding again. but only 1st to 2nd gear. 2-3 is fine. real smooth.

2. But, if i press the clutch and wait to go from 1st to 2nd for like 6 seconds i wont hear a thing. 2nd goes in real smooth.(but imagine how long 6 seconds are)

Also, in a previous post i mentioned that my car revs up to 2500rpm and stays there. Basically the rpm stays in 2500 wether or not i press the clutch or not. when you press the clutch youre supposed to go back to idle, but my car revs up.

maybe this is causing the grinding. any advice?
Mine used to do this. I re-stripped my battery wires and this helped my idle problems as well as this (don't know why that helped, I have some ideas though).

My 02 Taurus does this (auto), if I go into neutral.

Swirl
Old 11-30-2006, 05:01 PM
ooticamitica
4th Gear Member

kind of confusing but double clutch if she grinds when you shift and you pry need some syncros.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:09 PM
hatchdemon89
3rd Gear Member

i think all mustang has a problem with goin into reverse mine does the same thing an when u released the clutch it would make a whistlin noise but everyone is right adjust the cable it fixed my problem an my noise

Quick Reply: T-5 owners help, cause she like to grind