5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

once again a new problem???

Old 08-29-2004, 02:07 AM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

Default once again a new problem???

adding to my light/windshield washer problem, today my car started running really rough. My idle was good and all. but when i was trying to accelerate i would have no power and my car would putter and shake alot. giving it alot of lag. i have no clue what it is. im bout to give up with this car. everytime i get something fixed another problem arises. im never going to get to modify if i dont stop fixing lol. anyways anyone got some input on what this could be. thanks alot guys this site helps massivly.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:23 AM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: once again a new problem???

Well i am no expert but it sounds like a fuel problem to me. Maybe fuel pump?
Old 08-29-2004, 01:09 PM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

i was thinking a fuel problem as well. now how would i go about finding where on the fuel line the problem is? im gonna go ahead and replace the spark plugs today to see if maybe they were gappes wrong or what not. i htink if it was the fuel pump my car wouldnt start. thats how its happend to me in the past. what should i to do trouble shoot where the problem is? thanks
Old 08-29-2004, 05:27 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Try replacing the fuel filter. Who knows when the last time it was replaced.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:40 PM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

i just replaced the fuel filter about 800 miles ago if that. i just replaced the spark plugs and wires, i thought that solved the problem but when i got out on the high way it came back. its a lagging puttering feeling. has no power and its pulsing alot??? i am thinking injectors? how would i test them or should i just take it to a shop/dealer on that one?? but i did fix the windshield problem lol gotta love fords at least mine
Old 09-01-2004, 07:17 AM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

when i was checking my plugs i found that they were all white, which is meaning im running lean. i do believe unless im wrong, all twere like that except number 8 it was black like it had just went bad wasnt burning anything. than i checked my wires and my number 8 wire was roasted where it must have gotten onto the header and shorted it out. well i replaced my wires and plugs. problem was solved. till i drove it for a few minutes than it was back to the lagging, stuttering feeling and i have no power at all. My friend with the 300zx had a similar problem he had no power and it was rough idle. it turned out his number 1 injector was bad. could this be whats wrong with my car?? should i take it to a shop or is there a way to figure out whats wrong on my own. need help on this one?? thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 03:02 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

all white means the engine is running lean, not rich and that could be the source of your problems. check the fuel system pressure with a gauge installed on the Schrader valve on the fuel line coming up to the fuel rail on the passenger side of the engine. pressure should be 35-40 psi stock. if pressure is low, the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator could be bad. remove the vacuum line from the pressure regulator and see if the pressure goes up like it should, if it don't, then replace the regulator. if it goes up but not to at least 35 psi, i would check/replace the fuel pump or the sock filter on the pump inlet. it could also be a problem with the O2 sensors, if they are that old, try replacing them with new ones if the fuel system checks above do not find any problems with the fuel supply.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:57 AM
jhogan2424
2nd Gear Member

Did you replace all of the wires or just the burnt one? If not, check the other wires. Also, did you replace the coil wire? Make sure the wires are not touching the headers. Check for lose wires or maybe a wire boot that was not put back on tight when you changed them. If the boots are not all the way on sometimes the fire will arc out to anything that will ground it. Also check the plugs to make sure you didn't crack the ceramic when installing them. This will cause an arc too. If the problem was fixed when you changed the wire(s) and the started back up again I am sure the problem is still in the wires somewhere.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:47 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I forgot to mention that you should get and use some di-electric silicon grease inside the boots on the spark plug wires and also at the distributor ends too. this helps seal out moisture and prevent spark arcing too. you only need a small dab to do the job. it will also make it easier to pull the boots off the plugs next time you change them.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:47 AM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

Yes i replaced all of the wires. i took off and put back on each wire from each post/plug to ensure it was on all of the way and securely. Im going ahead and taking it to a shop right down the street, they said they will charge me 80 bucks to check it out and find the problem. 80 dolalrs isnt that big of a deal, im sick of trying to figure it out. ill keep ya guys informed on what they say to me. lol they do the dirty work and ill fix it haha got to love it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: once again a new problem???