5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

CAI KITS: Are they just shiny???

Old 11-30-2006, 05:13 PM
FoMoCo
2nd Gear Member

Default CAI KITS: Are they just shiny???

Im tired of how people critizize your induction system. The fact is that colder air makes more power. But i dont understand all the BS surrounding the subject. I never understood all the crap about hot air and cool air. first of all, when youre driving 70mph, air is coming from the front of the car. now if you have a box, that means less air than an exposed filter.

Now hot or cold, does it really matter? Carburator engines dont have fenderwell intake kits. Do they get hot air and make less hp?(not everyone has a ram air hood or cowl)

now cold air. How cold really? you have kits now that go to the fenderwell. wow really 15hp? and those are some pretty shiny chrome kits. So shiny that, well, they get hot cause theyre not plastic. So is that a "cold" air kit.

Oh yeah and who really needs cold air if all you have is the CAI kit and some pullies? Maybe even gears...
You will realize that real power is made by the guys who spend the big bucks.

If you want cold air get an intercooled supercharger.

Please everyone clear this out...

Old 11-30-2006, 05:15 PM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI KITS: Are they just shiny???

when CAI's claim 15hp, its not just the "cold air" that makes that, its also the cone filter... And also there are many carb setups that have fender intakes... cold air is denser than hot air, denser air can burn more fuel thus make more power... are CAI worth the money???? NO, but hey we gotta have something to buy right
Old 11-30-2006, 05:16 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

whats the question? your stock airbox already pulls air from the fender...
Old 11-30-2006, 05:21 PM
FoMoCo
2nd Gear Member

i just mentioned in a previous post about having a filter attached to the mass air, and some guy thought his cold air kit in the fender would give him NOS-like powers. Oh well, im about ready to do a 351 swap on my car, so CAI kits are not on my performance list.
not that they ever were.....
Old 11-30-2006, 05:24 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

the only real advantage to a CAI is that it's usually a larger diameter tube and smoother. You'll gain about the same if you slap a K&N panel filter in your stock airbox (w/ air silencer removed).
Old 11-30-2006, 05:28 PM
FoMoCo
2nd Gear Member

THANK YOU.................
Old 11-30-2006, 05:28 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

but not as much air as a cone filter sitting in the filter, stock air boxes are prety restrictive, a CAI won't make that big of a difference on a stock, but take a stock air box on a car that make 750 HP then put a CAI on that and since it allows more air it'll prolly make a 20 hp or so... not that 20hp is a world of difference
Old 11-30-2006, 05:30 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

i would say leave the stock box, put a k&N panel in there and get a C&L MAF with there flow pipe. that way you get all the benifits of a CAI and the same later diameter all the way through.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:31 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

the exposed filter CAN get more air.. dosnt mean u want ALL of that air (the hot AND cold..) going into ur engine.

i like the mach kits that go under the bumper (heat rises..duh heh) but they need to make a splash screen for those
Old 11-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

CAI just free up the air flow. Like said above, a k&n panel filter will be just as good as a CAI...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAI KITS: Are they just shiny???