5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What primer???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 02:36 AM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What primer???

thanks for the info. My quarter panel flare is slightly crunched but I pulled it out so its around 1/8" or less. My driver door also has some warps in it. I dont want to paint the car right now I just want it straight. The rest of the car has a pretty decent paint job. What do you recommend I do about how much to primer/paint? Do you think I should just do the body work on the quarter and door and then primer the whole quarter and door or just the least amount of primer only on the bondo areas? I think I will go by the auto paint store and see what they recomend. Do you think I should use some kind of rattle can paint to paint the quarter and door so at least it looks decent? I plan on using black primer for my black car so should I leave it in primer or paint over in some kind of gloss? Thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 02:38 AM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: david01130

ORIGINAL: FordMustangXBA

Not if you sand it first and do a couple of coats. My floorpans are still as solid as the day they were stamped.
should I sand down, primer, bondo, and primer again with multiple coats?
Body filler adheres better to rough bare metal. I've find that filler doesn't adhere well to etching primer. It doesn't feather edge well. The etching primer lifts at the edges. If I do etch prime for whole panels I'll spray epoxy primer over etch primer then fill.
If it's a small repair, I recommend sanding the damaged area with a DA and #80 paper. Degrease, mix and apply filler, sand smooth starting with 80 and finishing with 220, degrease, apply one coat of primer, apply polyester glazing filler (don't use the ready to spread junk. They're lacquer based, will shrink and show thru the paint. It also dries too slow), sand with 180, 220 and finsh with 400 wet. Dry, degrease, spray 3-4 coats of primer. Allow to thoroughly dry and wet sand with 400. Prep the panel. Your ready for color.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:45 AM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the info. My quarter panel flare is slightly crunched but I pulled it out so its around 1/8" or less. My driver door also has some warps in it. I dont want to paint the car right now I just want it straight. The rest of the car has a pretty decent paint job. What do you recommend I do about how much to primer/paint? Do you think I should just do the body work on the quarter and door and then primer the whole quarter and door or just the least amount of primer only on the bondo areas? I think I will go by the auto paint store and see what they recomend. Do you think I should use some kind of rattle can paint to paint the quarter and door so at least it looks decent? I plan on using black primer for my black car so should I leave it in primer or paint over in some kind of gloss? Thanks

You don't need to spray the whole 1/4 and door. Just repair the prime the area you repaired. Wet sand a larger area that you plan to prime with #400 so the primer adheres properly. I've had great success with Transtar 2 in 1 primer. I just replaced the door on my winter beater I picked up recently where I used this primer. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/791057/11
I didn't primer the whole door, just the area's I repaired.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:56 AM
david01130
4th Gear Member

should I leave it in primer or is there something to make it look better until I get the car painted
Old 12-01-2006, 03:02 AM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

should I leave it in primer or is there something to make it look better until I get the car painted
Give the the auto paint supply store your paint code and they can mix up an aeraol can of the same color to get you by unitl you paint the whole panel with a spray gun.
If it's a solid black, 9700 is a common paint code.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:02 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

you dont think the metal will rust under it?
you can go to a body shop, pay them $1000 to do it, and it will still rust

ALL primer absorbs water, you have to get something over the primer , at least sealer, but i would't even trust that.
don't bother til you can at least pay maaco $249 to spray it.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:11 AM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

you dont think the metal will rust under it?
you can go to a body shop, pay them $1000 to do it, and it will still rust

ALL primer absorbs water, you have to get something over the primer , at least sealer, but i would't even trust that.
don't bother til you can at least pay maaco $249 to spray it.
Yeah, non catalyzed primers are porous so it should be covered with a catalyzed paint or epoxy primer. Primers dry, catalyzed paints cure by chemical reaction.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:14 AM
kilgorq
2nd Gear Member

You need to use enough primer to fill the scratches. Don't use the primer to level dents or fill in paint chips. Use a hardening glazing putty for rock chips and bondo for the dents.

If you do not have a lot of experience with Painting. Practice on a junk fender. Get the technique down first.

Check out this link for body and paint tips and tricks. http://www.autobody101.com/basics.pdf. Very good information.

As for what primer. with the amount of work you are doing. I would not recommend a rattle can. Go get a quart of high build primer from your local auto paint supplier.

Black OUCH OUCH OUCH... This is the hardest color to prep a body for... It shows every little thing that is wrong. I mean everything. It is also very difficult to blend when you are transitioning from your fix to your old paint. If you have body line that you can break on DO IT. it will make your job much easier.

1/8" is way too much to fill. You will have problems with the bondo not holding. Try for less than 1/16" if you can get there with it.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:15 AM
david01130
4th Gear Member

okay thanks guys for the info. I will definitly go by the paint store this weekend and pick up a few things. thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 03:23 AM
david01130
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kilgorq

You need to use enough primer to fill the scratches. Don't use the primer to level dents or fill in paint chips. Use a hardening glazing putty for rock chips and bondo for the dents.

If you do not have a lot of experience with Painting. Practice on a junk fender. Get the technique down first.

Check out this link for body and paint tips and tricks. http://www.autobody101.com/basics.pdf. Very good information.

As for what primer. with the amount of work you are doing. I would not recommend a rattle can. Go get a quart of high build primer from your local auto paint supplier.

Black OUCH OUCH OUCH... This is the hardest color to prep a body for... It shows every little thing that is wrong. I mean everything. It is also very difficult to blend when you are transitioning from your fix to your old paint. If you have body line that you can break on DO IT. it will make your job much easier.

1/8" is way too much to fill. You will have problems with the bondo not holding. Try for less than 1/16" if you can get there with it.
doesnt bondo recomend 1/8 or less? There isnt a big chunk that is 1/8. The flare is pretty hard to get straight so at most it is 1/8. I might have even pulled it out too much in some areas and will have to hammer it in.

Quick Reply: What primer???