5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help removing/reinstalling spindles/lower control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:59 AM
BAM614
2nd Gear Member

Default Help removing/reinstalling spindles/lower control arms?

I'm trying to remove the front spindles on my 90GT and I can't for the life of my get the goddamn tie rod end to drop out. I've blasted it with PB blaster, wd40, retightend/loosened it again many times. Banged on the actual rod, tried it supported by a jack, or all the way down, etc, the ****er won't budge....on either side!!!

Argh!!!

I also need to remove my lower control arms, and I busted my 21mm impact socket on the 2nd one on the passenger side, so its junk, POS.

What do you guys recommend I do?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 05:21 AM
kilgorq
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help removing/reinstalling spindles/lower control arms?

C4 or dynamite

Actually try heat... Us a torch to heat it and get the rust to loosen up.

I usually use wd40 and a MAP Gas torch on these tough ones.

Let the WD40 soak for an hour or so. Then get it hot and try to separate it.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Use a 2 jaw puller for the tie rods or give it a few good taps on top of the 'bolt' to break it free from the spindle. Dont use a pickle fork tho or you may tear a seal. As for the A-arms, the bolts or nuts are likely frozen. Ive never heard of anybody actually breaking an impact socket before. Use a little more WD40 or whatever you have and let it soak.

Id get some new nuts and bolts for the A-arms in case something snaps.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:13 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

the best and easiest way to remove tie-rod ends is to not actually take the castle nut completely off the tie-rod end. I loosen the nut to the point where it is over the cotter pin hole in the tie-rod. then with my hammer, i hit the spindle where the tie-rod goes through, give it a few good whacks while applying pressure to the tie-rod. this SHOULD loosen up and rust that will be holding the piece inside, then give the actual end that the castle nut comes off, a good whack.

Remember that the reason for bringing the caste nut to the end of the tie-rod is to avoide damaging the threads and to avoide mushrooming the bolt where the cotter pin hole is. Take a good look at it and think about what i said... you should be able to visualize what i described and get yourself to the samne point... the tie-rods usually pop out on the second or third good whack.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Glasersil
3rd Gear Member

He said castle nut. huhuhuhuh
Old 12-01-2006, 01:13 PM
BAM614
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I did that, like back the nut out a little until the top was level with the bolt and trust me, I whacked on it PLENTY of times, neither side budged, very frustrating at 2am. I'll try the heat thing tomorrow, but I've gotta buy a new 21mm impact socket before I can try again on the LCA's.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 02:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I guess i was just blessed with a rust free car.. hehe
Old 12-01-2006, 04:05 PM
BAM614
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I think I'm ****ed. 750ft-lbs of tq on the LCA bolts and only one of four budged. The tie rod ends are stuck also, but at least I got the bolts off. Hmmm, never had difficulty before. I hope nobody put loctite on it or anything stupid like that.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:33 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

Wow, I must have been lucky too, I just did my whole front suspension and when I took off the castle nut the tie rod practically fell out of the spindle. I had no problems with the control arm bolts either, funny thing is the darn strut bolts gave me more grieft that anything else!! [:@]
Old 12-01-2006, 05:45 PM
BAM614
2nd Gear Member

I need a HAMMER, a BIG ONE. lol. No, I picked up a 2jaw puller from autozone for tomorrow, I'm going to try and force it out, if that doesnt work I'm ****ed. I seriously thought I would break the tie rod end with out hard I was laying into it.

How did you guys break the LCA bolts loose? My air gun is too big to get the rear ones, just a really big breaker bar?

Quick Reply: Help removing/reinstalling spindles/lower control arms?