MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   X-pipe with an AOD??? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/212813-x-pipe-with-an-aod.html)

capri debris 12-01-2006 05:43 PM

X-pipe with an AOD???

I ordered a "PYPES" brand X-pipe for my '86 fox with an AOD trans. The ad said it would fit ALL '86's but when I got it and read the install manual, it had in bold letters at the top "FOR MANUAL TRANS ONLY." So I called the place I ordered it from and asked them if it would fit and they said they don't know. My question... has anyone put a "PYPES" brand X-pipe on an AOD fox?

88BlueGT 12-01-2006 05:59 PM

RE: X-pipe with an AOD???

Try it out and hope it fits. And sounds like they have great customer service :eek:

capri debris 12-01-2006 06:11 PM

Actually, they are good people to deal with... they just aren't 100% sure it will fit and don't want to tell me it will and let me get screwed if it doesn't. They told me I could return it and they will waive the 15% restocking fee because they can't answer my question. I have 30 days to return it... I just have other things I'm doing right now to the car and don't really have the time to test fit it. If anyone can help me with this...please let me know.

Raphs50 12-01-2006 06:23 PM

I had a different brand x-pipe (Bassani) but it took some work with a big hammer on the underside of the floor panel to get them in. It is tight by the starter. I am doing an AOD to manual swap right now and the first bellhousing I got (Lakewood) would not work due to clearance for the x-pipe, so manuals do not have that much more clearance than the AOD. You probably just need to try it and see. Get a buddy to help if you can. It's a lot more difficult by yourself.

fordguy17 12-01-2006 07:04 PM

i have one on my 92.

although it looks as if it takes a bit of work, it fits fine...

capri debris 12-01-2006 07:14 PM

The one you have is a "PYPES" brand , right? I called the "PYPES" tech line and they told me the off road X-pipe WILL fit, but the one with cats WON"T fit. They said the problem is at the shifter linkage area... the cats hit right there, so if there aren't any cats... no problem. I will just feel much more reasurred if you get back to me and tell me FOR SURE that yours fits. What year is your car? How long ago did you get your X-pipe? Thanks in advance.

OneFine89Mustang 12-01-2006 07:40 PM

not sure

ROTTITANK 12-01-2006 09:21 PM

I had a bbk for a manual and it fit on my auto with no problem.

hellas85stang 12-01-2006 09:24 PM

FIND PYPES WEB SITE AND ASK THE YOUR SELF..NUTHIN WORSE THEN A PARTS PLACE SELLIN PARTS WITH NO KNOWLEDGE OF THE PRODUCT

fordguy17 12-02-2006 02:19 AM

ORIGINAL: capri debris

The one you have is a "PYPES" brand , right? I called the "PYPES" tech line and they told me the off road X-pipe WILL fit, but the one with cats WON"T fit. They said the problem is at the shifter linkage area... the cats hit right there, so if there aren't any cats... no problem. I will just feel much more reasurred if you get back to me and tell me FOR SURE that yours fits. What year is your car? How long ago did you get your X-pipe? Thanks in advance.

my car is a 92.

been on there for about two years.

off-road pypes brand x-pipe.

yes it fits.