5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need help with Clutch cable fast

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 06:39 PM
redsn95

Default Need help with Clutch cable fast

So im trying to take out my tranny. And now I can't take the clutch cable off its a pain in the A$$. Does anyone know how to do this please its my day off and I need to get this fixed. I need to drive my car is been 4 weeks. Stupid throwout bearing. thanks guys
Old 12-01-2006, 06:40 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need help with Clutch cable fast

Use a screwdriver to pry the clutch lever forward, the cable will come out easy as pie.
-P.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:12 PM
redsn95

ok so I used a screwdriver and now I broke the littlehook thing on the clutch pedal adjuster quadrant need help
Old 12-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

If you broke that then you'll have to get a new one. An aftermarket one is a lot better than the stocker. You should be able to just use 2 wrenches to remove the jamb nuts.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:18 PM
redsn95

What do I do to get the stupid thing out ( clutch quadrant) step by step you you guys dont mind How do you get under there im a big buy
Old 12-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

if you would have looked then you would have seen the little cotter pin that holds the stock plastic quad on. all you have to do is pull that out and slide the quad to the side and the cable pops right off. Also I will argue that an aftermarket quad is better than stock. I really dont think so because you have to self adjust the clutch all the time. Pain in the *** i think.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:29 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tims 88GT

if you would have looked then you would have seen the little cotter pin that holds the stock plastic quad on. all you have to do is pull that out and slide the quad to the side and the cable pops right off. Also I will argue that an aftermarket quad is better than stock. I really dont think so because you have to self adjust the clutch all the time. Pain in the *** i think.
+1, the stock quadrant works just fine for me, Ive used them in all my stangs. I even had a heavy duty truck clutch in my 79, was crazy hard to push the pedal, and the stock one held up just fine.

REDSN, sorry shouldve been more specific, youre not supposed to actually push on the cable itself. You slide the screwdriver/prybar at an angle so you dont hit the clutch cable and youre only pushing the clutch fork. You push it far enough to where the cable is free of the fork then slide it over to the larger hole and youre done.
-P.
PS: Once again sorry about that.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:30 PM
redsn95

So since I broke it now how much is a stock one.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:31 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Pry the arm in the trans forward with a prybar. Worked fine for me.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:32 PM
wine_maker
2nd Gear Member

ok start by taking the drivers seat out.

>>> the stock quad is ok unless you are going to ues a heavy duty cluch>> or speed shift >> or run the car hard>> and on and on<<<
if you are going to do the job right get the after market quad,cable,and firewall adjuster.
>>>>>>>>> I put three stock quads in at 50+bucks a pop in one year >>> after market 129+ and three years now and going strong.

alot less money now>>>>look<<<<

Quick Reply: Need help with Clutch cable fast