5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

overheating issue???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 03:21 AM
Stangnsnow2
2nd Gear Member

Default overheating issue???

Alright guys, i have had a supercharger on my car for a while with the belt not hooked up, i just got a mass air conversion and i put all that on today. the car was running alright and then it started to over heat after i was boosting through the gears. i fill the radiator up and drove around again seeing if it would over heat again, and it didnt as long as i didnt mash it too much. the problem has happen to me about 3 times tonite and each time i put about a gallon of coolate in the car...does any one know what is going on here? is it over heating because of the psi? or is it just over heating cuz the car is getting positive vacum in it?

-Steve
Old 12-03-2006, 03:34 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default RE: overheating issue???

Im more worried as to where all that coolant youre adding is going. A gallon at a time? How full is the rad and what size is it? Did you top if off correctly? You might not have added enough or you might have too much water in the mix. Check for any coolant seeping past the clamps. How hard are you mashing it?
Old 12-03-2006, 03:35 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Double post.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:46 AM
Stangnsnow2
2nd Gear Member

it is spraying out of the cap and then the rad is almost empty but after i add to it it is fine until i really get on it again
Old 12-03-2006, 03:58 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

sounds like you killed a head gasket to me. sounds like it broke and under boost you are pushing boost pressure into your colant system and pushing the coolant out the cap.. check your dipstick and see if the oil is white and milky collered.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:07 AM
Stangnsnow2
2nd Gear Member

no the oil isnt milky and im almost sure it isnt the gasket
Old 12-03-2006, 04:07 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Im assuming you put the belt back on? I just want to make sure. If so, check the weep hole on the water pump.

Overheating is usually caused by a bad water pump, belt not adjusted properly, blocked rad, sticking Tstat, a rad cap not holding pressure, timing not set, the hamster fell off its wheel, or low coolant which you already covered so you can skip that.

Have any overheating before the s/c install? What plugs are you using?
Old 12-03-2006, 04:18 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

also, maybe you are going way lean? i dont know any of your supporting mods that you have for the supercharger so it's kinda hard to help. there is alot of things with a supercharger that can cause you to overheat.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:30 AM
Stangnsnow2
2nd Gear Member

yea the belt is back on, the car running lean might be a problem possibly....ill try to turn up my fuel pressure tomorrow and see if it over heats...as for the water pump i know it isnt that cause i put a new one in like 400miles ago and i dont think the rad is backed up cuz it is fine when i didnt have the charger on. what do u mean by the belt isnt adjusted properly? and what is the hamster fell off its wheel?
Old 12-03-2006, 04:38 AM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blckstng93

Im assuming you put the belt back on? I just want to make sure. If so, check the weep hole on the water pump.

Overheating is usually caused by a bad water pump, belt not adjusted properly, blocked rad, sticking Tstat, a rad cap not holding pressure, timing not set, the hamster fell off its wheel, or low coolant which you already covered so you can skip that.

Have any overheating before the s/c install? What plugs are you using?
Im gonna have to say the hamster fell off its wheel

Quick Reply: overheating issue???