5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear Main Seal (and its parts)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 07:35 PM
wkusigep460

Default Rear Main Seal (and its parts)

Hey everyone,
For starters, this is my first post, so please excuse any informalities by me. Also, I am not the most knowledgable person when it comes to cars, but I do consider myself a little above average, so please do not assume too much when giving me instructions. With that said, let me present my situation...

In about a week, I am traveling an hour and half south of here to my friend's hometown to get the rear main seal (or at least that is my educated guess on the source of my massive oil leak) on my '92 Mustang GT. Pretty much everything on the Mustang is factory, including the 5.0 HO engine. My question is this: my friend told me that I need to get ahold of a gasket set for the repair. In your opinion, what parts do I exactly need to get, and more importantly, where exactly can I get such parts. I'm not looking for the best out there. In fact, I'm a broke college student and buying some of the less inexpensive parts that will get the job done and that will at least last for a little while is a little more important than having the best-quality parts. Should I try somewhere online (such as eBay or any other part site), should I go to a local AutoZone or NAPA, or should I even try to find the parts at a junk yard? Please keep in mind when giving me suggestions that I need to have these parts within a week.

Also, please let me know if you have any other suggestions on any of the following:
*Repairing/updating/changing any minor part while the car is lifted and while the engine/transmission has been taken out
*Certain precautions I should warn my friend about when repairing the oil leak
*Anything else you can think of

Again, thanks everyone for reading, and especially thank you for those who took their time to respond to help me! Hope everyone is having a good holiday season!

P.S. The diagnosis of the rear main seal is based upon the fact that I have to add anywhere from a quart to 2 quarts a week to keep my oil level up. There's also smoke coming from the engine compartment, probably from the oil leaking on some hot surfaces. If for any reason you suspect that my diagnosis is wrong, please let me know before I waste the time and money on trying to get it fixed. (Sidenote: I belive the last time I had my oil professionally changed, the guy who changed it told me that he thinks it could be, so I do have that to back my theory up!)

-Mike
Old 12-03-2006, 08:06 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear Main Seal (and its parts)

Napa sells good gasket set they aren't felpro but they will get the job done for you and they probally have they set in stock
Old 12-03-2006, 08:22 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

rear main seal is like $18 for a good race-quality gasket

i wouldn't go cheap on engine internals.. im guessing u like to go fast otherwise u wouldnt drive a mustang. u cant lie here
Old 12-03-2006, 08:22 PM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

If your rear main seal is leaking oil should be dripping out between the engine and trans. You should check your pcv valve. It may have popped out and oil could be running down the back of the engine. Also check valve cover gaskets and intake gasket end seal.
You don't need a complete gasket set if you are just changing the R.M.S.
I used a NAPA seal in my car and was a little over $20.. The seal comes with directions follow them and the seal will last.
You want to be sure of where the oil is leaking from so you don't pull the trans out for no reason.