5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

GT40 vs. Cobra

Old 12-06-2006, 01:26 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: GT40 vs. Cobra

ORIGINAL: deanzawistowski

ORIGINAL: samseed101
The GT40 heads have a lower compression though, so unless you're running forced induction, you may want to get them milled to at least bring the compression up to 9.5:1.
Whats forced induction?
A supercharger, Turbocharger, Nitrous....

A stock engine (or one without forced induction) is naturally aspirated meaning that the fuel-air mixture is forced into the cylinders by natural atmospheric pressure upon opening of the inlet valves. In a forced induction application,the quantity of oxygen available for combustion is increased (either through spraying it in like nitrous, or by forcing it into the cylinders under pressure.) More oxygen = more HP (to oversimplify it.)

As far as where to get them milled, you can go to a machine shop and tell them what you want done. Same thing with porting it. The cost can vary depending on where you go and what you get done. Some may charge you $300 or so to port, polish, and mill the heads. Others may run $800 or so. Really depends on where you go, how much work needs to be done, and what the going rate is in your area. Just shop around at machine shops.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:36 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Actually, Nitrous is a power adder. Forced induction would be S/C or turbo.

If you can get a great deal on a full exploder motor, that's the budget way to go. If not, look for a Eddy or TFS intake...they're just as cheap as the Cobra/GT40.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:39 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ttocs
how would I go about porting a cobra intake? or finding someone to port it?

Talk to this guy
http://tmossporting.com/

Does anyone know if a ported explorer intake would be overkill on a bolt on engine? I've been thinking about going to the junkyard and getting one to send to tmoss but I don't want to if it's just going to be restricted by the stock heads.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:44 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

thankyou.........

ORIGINAL: BlackLX

Talk to this guy

Does anyone know if a ported explorer intake would be overkill on a bolt on engine? I've been thinking about going to the junkyard and getting one to send to tmoss but I don't want to if it's just going to be restricted by the stock heads.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:42 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackLX

Talk to this guy

The stock heads are almost restrictive on the stock intake. A GT40/Explorer/Cobra will give you a few horses, but the heads are the problem. No reason to port the intake until you go w/ different heads.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:43 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

Actually, Nitrous is a power adder. Forced induction would be S/C or turbo.
I'm 99.9% positive that Nitrous is a form of Forced Induction. I have always heard it refered to as such, although i guess I could be wrong.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:55 PM
deanzawistowski
2nd Gear Member

So if i pick up an old explorer engine and use the heads and intake it would be best to:

1. get the heads milled to the right compression ratio
2. Port the intake?

I know i wouldnt HAVE to port the intake, but would it be worth it?

and also do i have to get the heads milled?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:00 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

You don't have to do either and it will be more power than you're running now. Milling the heads would be optimum for an N/A motor though.

Samseed--blowers, turbos, and nitrous are all power adders, but only blowers and turbos are forced induction. Nitrous doesn't force more air into the cylinders like the others....it puts a more explosive gaseous mixture into the cylinders.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:04 PM
deanzawistowski
2nd Gear Member

so its definately worth it to mill the heads and port the intake?

and also i nkow all the gt40 stuff was on the exploreres/mountaineers up to 97 1/2, but when did they start putting this stuff on the explorers?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:12 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

95, I think.....don't hold me to that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT40 vs. Cobra