5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trick flow high end kit gains???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 03:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Trick flow high end kit gains???

ORIGINAL: cgcgraded

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

more power can be made for less money... Im really getting sick of telling everyone that my cobra, with its stock motor.... makes more power than most memberes here make with the TFS top end kit...

NMerrill made 273rwhp... im making 276 on a completely stock motor
What year is your car? Because I find it VERY hard to believe that a 1993-95 cobra stock is making 276 to the wheels. Most guys in here are talking about 79-95 5.0 mustangs. None of those mustangs STOCK came with 276 rwhp. If it is a later model cobra stock yea thats believable. But most of our cars are around 180 rwhp stock. So near a 100hp gain to the wheels for 2k is great. I don't know how any1 can argue that. Your posts about a stock 5.0 cobra making 276 to the wheels seem very misleading just trying to clear things up.
well you obviously havent been around very long, which is understandable why you have no clue who I am.

again, as i have posted before... my MOTOR is stock... Its a common error that many of you newer members make, you dont read the whole post. I have a 1994 Cobra 5.0 with stock gt-40 heads, stock cobra cam, stock cobra upper, and a stock 156k bottom end.

My power mods include...
BBK Equal lenght shorty headers
BBK O/R X-pipe (no cats)
Mac Pro Dumps 2.5" mufflers
Kirban Adjustable FPR
Fender mount CAI
Professional Products 70mm throttle body
Ford Racing underdrive pullies
Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft
AEM 6in1 Wideband Controller
Walbro 255LPH HiOP Fuel Pump
TwEECer R/T (not installed anymore)
15° timing

My PRE-TUNE dynograph is the only one still in existance, my tuned graphs got lost in a computer meltdown, the old graph was already uploaded online so its all ive got.
PRE-TUNE I made 253rwhp/294tq
After tune i made 276rwhp/319tq
Old 12-09-2006, 04:05 PM
cgcgraded
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cgcgraded

more power can be made for less money... Im really getting sick of telling everyone that my cobra, with its stock motor.... makes more power than most memberes here make with the TFS top end kit...

NMerrill made 273rwhp... im making 276 on a completely stock motor
What year is your car? Because I find it VERY hard to believe that a 1993-95 cobra stock is making 276 to the wheels. Most guys in here are talking about 79-95 5.0 mustangs. None of those mustangs STOCK came with 276 rwhp. If it is a later model cobra stock yea thats believable. But most of our cars are around 180 rwhp stock. So near a 100hp gain to the wheels for 2k is great. I don't know how any1 can argue that. Your posts about a stock 5.0 cobra making 276 to the wheels seem very misleading just trying to clear things up.
well you obviously havent been around very long, which is understandable why you have no clue who I am.

again, as i have posted before... my MOTOR is stock... Its a common error that many of you newer members make, you dont read the whole post. I have a 1994 Cobra 5.0 with stock gt-40 heads, stock cobra cam, stock cobra upper, and a stock 156k bottom end.

My power mods include...
BBK Equal lenght shorty headers
BBK O/R X-pipe (no cats)
Mac Pro Dumps 2.5" mufflers
Kirban Adjustable FPR
Fender mount CAI
Professional Products 70mm throttle body
Ford Racing underdrive pullies
Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft
AEM 6in1 Wideband Controller
Walbro 255LPH HiOP Fuel Pump
TwEECer R/T (not installed anymore)
15° timing

My PRE-TUNE dynograph is the only one still in existance, my tuned graphs got lost in a computer meltdown, the old graph was already uploaded online so its all ive got.
PRE-TUNE I made 253rwhp/294tq
After tune i made 276rwhp/319tq

OK....Nmerrill and myself have fox body 5.0 mustangs (86-93). Yes you do have a 5.0 mustang but the specs are different and supporting items are different. Stock flywheel we probably have 215hp you have 240hp. You also have a sh*t load of supporting mods which allow your motor to run hella effectively. Some mods which you have go on the motor = motor mods = not completely stock IMO.
Regardless though you have some impressive #'s for stock heads, cam, and intake. But out of the box you have more performance then pre 93 stangs w/ better supporting mods. With outstanding supporting mods the trickflow kit should make 300rwhp.
*IMO what your saying is like telling some1 with a new mustang gt500 that he should have the same hp as some1 in a new ford gt just because they both have the same base engine (5.4 l).

Again this is just my opinion though.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:59 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I didn't take it that way.....Adder is making his power on a stock setup (cobra intake, GT40 heads, cobra cam, stock bottom end) and he's making the same power as people adding the TFS top-end kit. He does have bolt-ons, but that doesn't mean the motor itself isn't in stock form.

Anyway...what I got from Adder is that he's saying there are other, cheaper, ways to make the same power than spending $2k on a kit. Personally, I like the TFS kit, but some people are on a tight budget....
Old 12-09-2006, 05:35 PM
cgcgraded
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

I didn't take it that way.....Adder is making his power on a stock setup (cobra intake, GT40 heads, cobra cam, stock bottom end) and he's making the same power as people adding the TFS top-end kit. He does have bolt-ons, but that doesn't mean the motor itself isn't in stock form.

Anyway...what I got from Adder is that he's saying there are other, cheaper, ways to make the same power than spending $2k on a kit. Personally, I like the TFS kit, but some people are on a tight budget....
I understand that I am just saying for people who don't have those items, (pre 93) trickflow is a great kit. I just wanted to clarify for those viewing the thread that if they have a pre 93 5.0 they will not make near 270 wrhp from their stock setup wo/ a power adder. 270 hp to the wheels is a big improvment to most guys running a stock 5.0 mustang.
To me its like comparing apples to orange I mean Z06 guys are making big power on "their" stock setup.
But again this is just my opinion.

To quote a great movie, The fact that he is making that power on his own setup (94 w/ better parts than pre 93) is erroneous to the thread starters question of power from his 86 5.0

Jeez I got to give up these rants
Old 12-09-2006, 05:42 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

and I was trying to point out that someone can go to a junkyard, get a gt-40 explorer motor for $400, bring it home, slap the heads and intake on with a B cam (its closest to the cobra cam) and make the same amount of power.. and for what... $700?
Old 12-09-2006, 05:45 PM
cgcgraded
1st Gear Member

and I was trying to point out that someone can go to a junkyard, get a gt-40 explorer motor for $400, bring it home, slap the heads and intake on with a B cam (its closest to the cobra cam) and make the same amount of power.. and for what... $700?
This is the cheapest way to get some nice power. I agree w/ you there but I don't think it will make the same amount of power (not too far from it though) as the TF kit.
But I agree that this is the "best bang for your buck" way of modding your motor.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Bwebb Stang
2nd Gear Member

Is it beneficial or would it be a stupid idea to put a track heat tf intake on a mustang that doesnt' rev up beyond five grand
Old 12-09-2006, 07:58 PM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

Thumper combos will net mid 260's and I've seen dyno session where GT40 head/ecam/various intakes have even acheived 300!! Numbers posted by member AdderMk2 are excellent and very attainable for the guys willing to spend the time. However the 'kits' make quick work of aquiring all the needed parts to make really decent (though not astounding) power from a lil 302/306 for what really is a fairly reasonable price. As long as you go in with realistic expectations of what you're going to end up with the kits are a great way to go.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:03 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Question for you adder, with purchasinf the gt40s and doing the cam and intake, will the hp of 260 to 280 be with porting or not porting, and how much of a major difference will a decent pporting job?
Old 12-09-2006, 09:58 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

i'd be willing to bank on 300rwhp if you got them ported.... but i'll know for sure after i build MY motor

Quick Reply: Trick flow high end kit gains???