5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:16 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default Suspension setup

ok i have a 95 cobra mustang and here is what im thinking of for suspension

strange 10 adj shocks/struts
strange coil over kit (all around) with hypercoil springs...
also i was thinking of subframe connecters like Maximum MotorSports
then i need help on upper and lower control arms
and what else u think i need....

thanks for all feed bak and ill answer all the questions i can
Old 12-06-2006, 01:20 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension setup

anyone??? plz... i dont like making plans and spending money with minial information on the **** im buying... and manufactuors will bend hte truth if they can get you money
Old 12-06-2006, 03:35 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

i'd say that list looks pretty good, you might also want to get some caster/camber plates
Old 12-06-2006, 04:35 AM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

I have heard nothing but good things about the 10 ways, and I have never heard anyting bad about the stuff Maximum MotorSports puts out, but that they are a little expensive. I you are going all out with the SFC I would go with full length. And there are ALOT of options for the rear control arms, but if you can get some of the adjustable ones, I don't think you need the coil overs (Don't quote me on that one but I think that is correct being a somewhat suspention newb).
Old 12-06-2006, 03:38 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

i was goin to get the coil overs for so i can adjust the spring high and stiffness and what not... its not a drag only car thats why i kinda wanna get everything adjustible so i can have a same daily driver with good handling and on track days i can turn a few things here and there and its a drag suspension... what kind of controll arms do u suggest there are many adjustible rear control arms... what brand is reliable and ezer to install... i dont want to go overboard but i do what something that can out handle most all the stock cars on the road... something that is close to porcesh handling if at possible... at the same time tho i dont want to drop 2 grand on a setup... i was thinking more of a 800-1000 setup the shock and struts are 70 and 120 a peice repectiveily... the coil overs are 70 a piece i believe and the hyper coil springs are about 120 a pair of 2... so i would of course need to... this puts me rite around 800ish... i no the connects are like 100 so that 900... i was thinking a decent upper/lower control are would be like 500ish??? i wasnt sure tho..... and i dunno what kinda i would need... and what are these cast/camber plates u speak of onyx... what do they do.. what brand would be good for them and what would htey cost....

so info on control arms and cast/camber plates and you open on how well the setup will handle is i tweak it just rite... im welling to throw down a few hunderd more that i expected if i wont every have to replace any of these parts for better parts or becuz they broke... is its kinda like get it done rite the first time kinda thing.... thanks for all the help so far and any other help given

Adam
Old 12-06-2006, 04:22 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

You do not need to go with a full coil over setup. You can run something like what I am going to go with and thats a D&D K Member, D&D A Arms, D&D Front Coil Over, MM CC Plates, Strange 10 Way Struts, Strange 10 Way Shocks, MM Panhard Bar, MM XL FL Subframes, MM U/L Control Arms, etc. That should handle pretty well and be pretty track efficient also.

I am actually debating running the D&D on my 93 though becuase I have heard that they are not the best for street use so I take back what I just said. There are tons of mixed opinions out there for aftermarket k members and street use. I might just throw the D&D on my 88 and put a MM k member on my 93. Alot of people say that MM K member is the only aftermarket one that they will run on the street... I dont know though I am just finding all of this information recently.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:29 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

just wondering cuz it hasnt been explained to me... i dont think it has newayz.... but why dont i need coil overs... i was under the assumption they were the best spring set up u can get... i would like to understand were u guys are coming from on this so i know whats goin on cuz im a lil lost on the hole no coil overs thing... thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 04:39 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Want to know your best solution? Call Maximum Motorsports and talk to the guys over there about street suspension setup's. You dont have to buy their sh*t but just act like you are lol. Full coilovers is not necessary and they will be able to explain it to you the way that I cannot lol.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:13 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

well i wont mind buy their **** but some of it is a lil over price and u can get just as good from else were for a better price... like the strange 10 adj shocks/struts... but i mite do that i normally dont have a lota of time during the day since most of my classes are from 8ish to 2ish so kinda sux ill give the a holla tho.. thanks