5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Why do autos dyno low?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:53 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Why do autos dyno low?

ORIGINAL: musclemustang94

ORIGINAL: tinman

musclemustang; I would concur with you on most of what you said.
I think peeps don't realize the amount of heat that's created by the converter.
Here in Arizona, it's not uncommon to race at night in the summers. I've seen air temp's of 103 at midnight. I don't even want to know what the temp of the trans fluid is with my 3500 stall converter........
Yeah for sure, I live in Surprise and I am going to UTI. To test a convertor you apply the brakes and full throttle and see how far the rpms go up, thats called stall speed. It only takes like 30 seconds to overheat your trans doin this so your only supposed to do it for like 5 seconds. my point is that the convertor generates ALOT of the heat, 'specially with a high stall cuz the fliud going one way and crashing into the other creates a ton of friction and a ton of heat. Convertors are weird, I heard you can go to how stuff works.com to see how they work its kind of hard to explain. But if you go there you'll see what i mean.
I just want to point out that this is not true stall speed, to find true stall you would a trans brake.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:04 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Here in Arizona, it's not uncommon to race at night in the summers. I've seen air temp's of 103 at midnight. I don't even want to know what the temp of the trans fluid is with my 3500 stall converter........
Yeah for sure, I live in Surprise and I am going to UTI. To test a convertor you apply the brakes and full throttle and see how far the rpms go up, thats called stall speed. It only takes like 30 seconds to overheat your trans doin this so your only supposed to do it for like 5 seconds. my point is that the convertor generates ALOT of the heat, 'specially with a high stall cuz the fliud going one way and crashing into the other creates a ton of friction and a ton of heat. Convertors are weird, I heard you can go to how stuff works.com to see how they work its kind of hard to explain. But if you go there you'll see what i mean.
I just want to point out that this is not true stall speed, to find true stall you would a trans brake.
+1, there's actually a few ways that they measure stall. Foot Brake stall, flash stall, and true stall. Here's a good explanation of all three and some more info on torque converters that might help the AOD newbies.

http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/basics.html
Old 12-08-2006, 01:24 AM
rsw007
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

ORIGINAL: JD1969

+1, there's actually a few ways that they measure stall. Foot Brake stall, flash stall, and true stall. Here's a good explanation of all three and some more info on torque converters that might help the AOD newbies.

http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/basics.html
when you going to get track times for us?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:27 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Whenever they decide to open up Bandimere and I get some stickier tires. Hopefully it's not in the mid to high 90s again like it was last time I went . I'm hoping to drop more than a full second since last time also, which I'm sure that I'll acheive.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:29 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Whenever they decide to open up Bandimere and I get some stickier tires. Hopefully it's not in the mid to high 90s again like it was last time I went . I'm hoping to drop more than a full second since last time also, which I'm sure that I'll acheive.

Did you get your car back together man?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:15 AM
stocksuspension
2nd Gear Member

tourque conventers are tourque multipliers... look up the multiplier of a converter... good one roughly 2.2-2.5.. so if u have a 300ft/lbt engine and a converter stalls at 3000rpm.. at 3000rpm for a slpit second u have have 600lb/ft
Old 12-08-2006, 02:23 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frdmstng1986GT

I decided to tease myself with it tonight and call it quits. All that I have left to do is tighten down the upper intake, put in radiator, fan, fan shroud, and coolant, start it up and do an oil change. I was close to finishing it tonight but I was hurting and I had to stop, I'll have videos of it running (hopefully it will run!) tomorrow evening.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:07 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frdmstng1986GT

I decided to tease myself with it tonight and call it quits. All that I have left to do is tighten down the upper intake, put in radiator, fan, fan shroud, and coolant, start it up and do an oil change. I was close to finishing it tonight but I was hurting and I had to stop, I'll have videos of it running (hopefully it will run!) tomorrow evening.
nice man, cant wait to hear it. and i know you probably already knew this and were gonna do it, but do the oil change first before the start up just incase you got collant that fwll into the lifter valley and down into the pan.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:39 AM
frop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Not only do they eat up more HP, but the first gear in the trans isnt as steep as it is in the 5 spd, which = less torque.
-P.
NM I'm just gonna leave this alone.........
Old 12-08-2006, 01:33 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frop

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Not only do they eat up more HP, but the first gear in the trans isnt as steep as it is in the 5 spd, which = less torque.
-P.
NM I'm just gonna leave this alone.........
LMAO, I said the same thing to my self. It's funny how clueless people are and they go spouting off incorrect information around.

Quick Reply: Why do autos dyno low?