5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what do you think the mpg would be with these mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 11:24 AM
bmfgsxr
1st Gear Member

Default what do you think the mpg would be with these mods?

All work done 2.5 years ago
b303 cam
ford racing timing chain with steel cam sprockets
crane roller arms 1.6 ratio
stock port and polished intake manifold
port and polished heads
underdrive pulleys
mac shorty heards
mac off road h-pipe
mac 2.5 cat back exhaust (loud)
ford racing 75MM throttle body mac cold air intake
crane fuel regulator
griffen radiator
fuel pump
19lb injectors
ford racing hi heat rad hoses
msd coil blaster2
ford racing 9MM wires
ford racing lowering kit
power stop cross drilled rotors
konig 17x8 rims
kimo 17x245x45 tires
trunk battery kit
king cobra clutch w/ bbk adjustable quadrant
ford racing 3.73 gears
hurst short shifter

reason i ask is because i found a nice 5.0 for a fair price in my area but i need a car that is gonna get me around 20mpg or better on the highway and i have a feeling this might not meet those standards. although i know ive read some guys on here with some good mods still get 20mpg on the highway.

thanks
Old 12-08-2006, 11:29 AM
disturbed471985
4th Gear Member

Default RE: what do you think the mpg would be with these mods?

All depends on how you drive the car. Id say 15 to 20. Which is not that bad when you consider my DD only gets like 9 to 11mpg. Anyways no one buys a mustang for there mpg so if thats what you really want then honda's get 30+??
Old 12-08-2006, 11:31 AM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bmfgsxr

All work done 2.5 years ago
b303 cam
ford racing timing chain with steel cam sprockets
crane roller arms 1.6 ratio
stock port and polished intake manifold
port and polished heads...waste of time
underdrive pulleys
mac shorty heards
mac off road h-pipe
mac 2.5 cat back exhaust (loud)
ford racing 75MM throttle body mac cold air intake.... t/b wat too big
crane fuel regulator
griffen radiator
fuel pump
19lb injectors
ford racing hi heat rad hoses
msd coil blaster2
ford racing 9MM wires...these are terrible wires
ford racing lowering kit
power stop cross drilled rotors
konig 17x8 rims
kimo 17x245x45 tires
trunk battery kit
king cobra clutch w/ bbk adjustable quadrant
ford racing 3.73 gears
hurst short shifter

reason i ask is because i found a nice 5.0 for a fair price in my area but i need a car that is gonna get me around 20mpg or better on the highway and i have a feeling this might not meet those standards. although i know ive read some guys on here with some good mods still get 20mpg on the highway.

thanks
well lose the heavy *** rims if gas is soo important......it should get 20 mpg anywaz but it have some mis-matched parts and need a msd 6a ignition
Old 12-08-2006, 11:32 AM
ROTTITANK
3rd Gear Member

I got pretty much the same modds. But I have trickflow heads,manifold and stage2 cam.Plus 24lb injectors and a 80mm mass air.Im not get no wear around 20mpg. Its more like 16 maybe 17.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:35 AM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

why would anyone take the time to port and polish a set of stock heads unless larger valves are install....now gasket match will help.....I say the polishing is part of the problem.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:52 AM
bmfgsxr
1st Gear Member

thanks for the info guys. the nice thing is that its close to where i live so i dont have to travel far to get it, and its a nice notchback which is what i really want..

and as for the if you want good gas mileage comment go buy a honda, you need to realize not everyone uses a mustang as a hotrod. personally i need a commuter car that has a little bit of get up and go (since 5.0's only average mid 14's in stock form they arent exactly fast) and to think people dont want the best fuel mileage possible is crazy.. why wouldnt you want good mpg if you can actually get it. considering the 5.0's are rated to get as much as 25mpg highway mpg it would be nice to get as close to that as possible.. and this is why ideally i was looking for a stocker, but it just so happens the one with the mods listed above is only 15 minutes from my house which is convenient. furthermore, i just blew up my little toyota 4cyl. so that is why i decided i need something with a little more get up and go to it. if i want to go fast ill drive my 2003 SVT Lightning which is good for high 12 second 1/4 miles the way it sits right now, but i really dont like getting 12mpg when i commute 600 miles a week. and i also dont want to run up the miles on it either. so my purpose for buying a mustang 5.0 is to use it as a commuter car, and not a hotrod. but most little 4cyl. commuter cars arent going to be able to handle my long commute at a decent rate of speed. so please, if anyone else wants to make those types of comments about buying a 4cyl dont bother replying. i realize the mustang isnt a toyota prius(and im not looking for that type of fuel mileage), but its a good compromise for my needs, and i just want at least 20mpg highway(which the 5.0 is capable of). thanks
Old 12-08-2006, 02:56 PM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

heh... my motor is nearly stock and i barley get 20mpg on the highway lol... but if the pedal is on the floor alot than that may be the problem
Old 12-09-2006, 09:36 AM
bmfgsxr
1st Gear Member

any other guesses.. the owner isnt sure since he never clocked it. and its a good price for this car even though id rather get a stocker.. thanks for any help.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:06 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

well even if it's 15-16 now doing some work to it will yield you 20-21 mpg....but like I say with the rims their robbing 1-2 mpg's.. but keeping your foot out of it will help the most with mpg...installing some under-drive pulleys and a electric fan will net 1-2 mpg and with the amt of miles you drive will slowly pay for themselves as would a aluminum driveshaft
Old 12-09-2006, 01:22 PM
bmfgsxr
1st Gear Member

thanks man.. that could be a good selling point as well (telling him to keep the rims that is since he has the stockers to go with it).. im gonna see if we can take a substantial test drive. something along the lines of 30 miles.. we can fill up the tank, go for a 30 mile run, and top off the tank again to get a decent est.

appreciate the help man.