5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clearance with longtube headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:59 PM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

Default Clearance with longtube headers

So, with my longtube headers, my car has about 4 inches of clearance. I just realized how tight that is. I think one of the tubes on the right even has a dent in it. Are all long tube headers this bad clearance wise? I have 1.25" lowering springs, so that worsens it that much. Do you guys think that just having 4 inches of clearance will be all that much of a proble/is kind of risky?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:01 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Clearance with longtube headers

this is what happens when you don't listen to some of us...I hope you never have to go over a speed bump[&:] the LT don't really offer anything good on a mild engine set up on a lower'd car[&o]
Old 12-08-2006, 07:03 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

i wouldn't think u would have problems with it only being lowered an inch. ur just going to have to watch where ur driving.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:07 PM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

actualy, i didnt do it myself. My cousin/uncle had the car before me and put the springs and exhaust system on. Does it make it a danger to the engine to have the headers that low or will it just suck pretty bad if i hit a bumb and dent them more?

I was kind of thinking maybe getting a pair of stainless shorty's, but if the engine isnt really in danger then ill just keep the slightly better flow and drive careful.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:10 PM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

oh, and do you know of any reason why the right would be slightly lower than the left? It looks about a fourth to a half inch lower....
Old 12-08-2006, 07:10 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

dangerous?..naw....but you will need to be on your toes on speed bumps and the like....later on switch to a shorty and peace of mind
Old 12-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chicogotgreen

So, with my longtube headers, my car has about 4 inches of clearance. I just realized how tight that is. I think one of the tubes on the right even has a dent in it. Are all long tube headers this bad clearance wise? I have 1.25" lowering springs, so that worsens it that much. Do you guys think that just having 4 inches of clearance will be all that much of a proble/is kind of risky?

I run BBK Long tubes and never had a problem with them scrapping I have an 88 5.0 with Eibach Sportlines so it's pretty low. The only issue was the mid pipe and the flows scrapped when I went into a drive way so all I did was went to the muffler shop and had them raise up the pipe making shoter hangers. As far as the long tubes go I've scrapped just once on thos egas station things on the ground. Thats the only time. I'be never had any issue's on that part. Just go slow when going into a drive way or speed bumo and you should be fine.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:55 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

i have a 95 cobra with mac lts and i have tons of clearnce... its not lower yet... but i plan on dropping it like 2inch... if i didnt i dont think i woudl have to worry... mayb on speed bumps to i always worry about them newayz cuz the ones at my highschool were always a pain in the *** even for the car no being lower so yea its really no big deal in my eyes if u hear then scraping a lot of hte time hten sell hte mid pipe and headers and my equal lenght shorts... not as much flow but unless you pushing 400rwhp u proabaly wont notice a difference in performance... at least i wouldnt think so
Old 12-08-2006, 10:08 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Ok, years ago I had sort of had an incident while racing a brand 'D' car.
2 tubes for the headers on one side and 1 tube on the the other were smashed at least 2/3 .
I kept the same dail-in for the next 3 rounds and won them all.
To this day, I'll say that nothing was hurt as I still drove the car in the very same way.
the next week I ordered a new set of headers, put them on the car and it ran just the same.......
Old 12-08-2006, 10:09 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

BTW this all happened with an 11.50 car........

Quick Reply: Clearance with longtube headers