5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mass air vs Speed Density

Old 12-08-2006, 07:59 PM
oneofdegataga

Default Mass air vs Speed Density

So I have this nice 1987 Mustang I think is dead stock. Just lately I discovered that the car had a Hypertech performance chip added to the computer. Apparantly the chip went bad and I spend $$K of dollars trying to trace the problem before I thought about checking the computer. Losing the chip caused a completely undesirable LOSS of seat-of-the-pants power. I want that power back and have been searching for alternatives.

Following lots of info I went out and purchased a newly remanfactured A9L computer, MAF system from an 89 Mustang, proper adapter pigtail and even found an ADS chip specific for the 89 A9L I bought. I began contacting folks near me and now all of a sudden I'm told I shouldn't use the chip on the car as it is supposedly dead stock and I won't get much of a feel out of it, AND I probably should stay with SD instead of MAF and just bump the timing up 12-13 degrees, AND I'm told that I shouldn't expect to much of a performance improvement if I do go to the A9L.

WTF??!? I've now spent about $300 on a 'new' computer, plus the MAF conversion and I won't notice ANY improvement???

Am I stupid or what??? [:@]
Old 12-08-2006, 08:34 PM
deanzawistowski
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mass air vs Speed Density

SD is faster on a stock mustang then Mass Air on a stock stang. Mass air comes inhandy when your start modifying the car. It adjust to changes much more easier. If you want to get rid of the computer and MAF conversion ill buy it off of you. Message me if your interested.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:27 PM
junknotch
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Mass air vs Speed Density

some people say you can build a speed density car and have no problems. If you do a search on here you should be able to find info about what combos work and how they got the car to run right. deanzawistowski is correct that speed density is faster on a stock stang, my 88 ran like a rape date and I did a few mods to it and ran real strong. I just never figured out how to get the car to run with more mods such as cam heads combo so I switched it to mass air.