5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 10:58 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default oil pan gasket

well its bout that time, gonna be replacing my oil pan gasket(leaks like all hell)... anyone ever doneit before? i dont have a cherry picker, so cant just pick up the engine like that... i have the haynes manual, and it says its way to do it, just wondered if anyone had any other ideas? maybe less time consuming, lol.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:08 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: oil pan gasket

ORIGINAL: dimebag

well its bout that time, gonna be replacing my oil pan gasket(leaks like all hell)... anyone ever doneit before? i dont have a cherry picker, so cant just pick up the engine like that... i have the haynes manual, and it says its way to do it, just wondered if anyone had any other ideas? maybe less time consuming, lol.
LOL. less time consuming and replacing a pan gasket in a fox should not be in the same sentance.

anyways, there are a few options you can don, none of witch will be less time consuming.

First one. find a friend that has a cherry picker. it will be the easiest way.

second one. you could always unbolt and lower the front crossmember. alot of work though.

third one. find a tall tree with a nice thick strong branch and use a come-along and hang it off the tree limd and use the come-along to pull the engine up enough to get the pan out. i have made a tripod out of 3 birch trees and hung a come-along in the middle to pull a motor before and it worked fine. i'm not saying either of these ways arent dangerous and could cause harm to you or someone but just letting you know what i have done in the past and had it work.

also, i would suggest getting a 1 piece pan gasket from nappe with the built in metal anti crush sleaves and metwl re-enforced gaskets.

hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:10 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

eh, didnt think thered be a "Easy" way out... but i guess i could try right? lol... should be a project none the less... taking off friday, sat and sun(enda the month) to do that, head gasket(so everything above it too), new trans, and mid pipe and back new exhaust... luckly my dad is lending a hand... should be a fun little weekend project out in the cold, lol.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:17 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

eh, didnt think thered be a "Easy" way out... but i guess i could try right? lol... should be a project none the less... taking off friday, sat and sun(enda the month) to do that, head gasket(so everything above it too), new trans, and mid pipe and back new exhaust... luckly my dad is lending a hand... should be a fun little weekend project out in the cold, lol.
if your doing all theat you might as well pull the motor and replace all gaskets and seals.. thats what i did 2 weeks ago. my paint/body guy need to fix some rust on my drivers frame rail and he could have done it with the motor in but i just had him pull it so i could replace all gaskets and all seals and to make it easier on him. so i wouldnt have to worry about anything in the future. just my .02 cents.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:20 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i agree... but just dont have the resorces... wish i did ....
Old 12-10-2006, 11:27 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

i agree... but just dont have the resorces... wish i did ....
Check it out.

And here is all your options.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

thats cool man, thanks... by resorces i more meant an engine hoist, shop/garage, etc... im rockin it out in a gravel drive way man...
Old 12-10-2006, 11:36 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

thats cool man, thanks... by resorces i more meant an engine hoist, shop/garage, etc... im rockin it out in a gravel drive way man...
ahh got you, my bad. lol, get some 2x4's and a big tarp and make a makeshift garage.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:38 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

lol, i just hope its not too too cold... but w. my luck itll be cold as *****... ****, enda december... ofcourse itll be cold, lol.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:41 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

lol, i just hope its not too too cold... but w. my luck itll be cold as *****... ****, enda december... ofcourse itll be cold, lol.

probably man. lol. you might be better off just running it till spring and running it through the winter and dealing with the oil leaks and such. i had to replace a rearend in a dodge truck in the middle of january laying in 4 inch's of snow.. it sucked. i vowed from that day on to never work outside in the winter again.. frostbite sucks and hurts like a b!tch.

Quick Reply: oil pan gasket