5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

missfire/backfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 09:24 PM
notchback50
2nd Gear Member

Default missfire/backfire

i have an 89 notch 5.0 i started it up the other day to move it to get ready for snow and it didnt want to start and was backfiring, it eventually started but was not running right i would rev it up and it would sound like missfiring. i havent drove it all year and now winter is here and i dont have a garage. . but i wanted to know what to look for? it was kind of backfirng and blowing smoke a couple months ago when i took it for a ride, if i floored the pedal it would stumble and fall on its face. .
Old 12-11-2006, 09:27 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: missfire/backfire

if your car has been sitting all year, and you have had the same gas in the tank for that long, that is your problem. drain the gas and refill, problem solved.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:27 PM
mustnglvr
2nd Gear Member

Check simple things like your cap,rotor,wires,plugs first.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Yah i would check that stuff after i checked the gas. Gasoline doesn't last long, 3-6 months at most. After that, it starts to drastically lose octane rating and becomes a sludge. Due to the volume of a car gas tank, sludging generally only occurs in the lines, barely. But a good year or two, you need a new tank or a helluva power washer.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:55 PM
wine_maker
2nd Gear Member

a car i had sat for 10 months and did the same thing when i started it.
I kept checking things and starting it to see if it helped.
All i did was waist a piston >>> i had a stuck valve<<< [:@]
Old 12-11-2006, 10:03 PM
notchback50
2nd Gear Member

that gas isnt as old i let it run sometimes and took it for drives and put new gas in, it ran fine for a couple months after been sitting and then after a couple more months it would stumble and had loss of power. im pretty sure its not the gas cuz the gas isnt too old but maybe it could be plugs wires roter cap. . . ect but it has gotten worse. . i could barely drive it cuz it was so stumbely and missfiring
Old 12-11-2006, 10:06 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

ok. give me a time table. from january 06 to now, what has the car been doing, for how long.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:06 PM
mustnglvr
2nd Gear Member

Does it seem to drive better after warm up?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:41 PM
notchback50
2nd Gear Member

no it drives the same when cold or warm. timeline= been sittin un-registered or inspected sence january 06 but i would try to start it a couuple times a month and take it for a drive or jus let it idle. then it started missfirng or backfiring when i would drive it and try to get on it. i checked vacum lines they all look fine but there couold be a leak on one i missed. and it has always run rich sence ive had it so i dont know if that has anything to do with it. when it starts getting warm again, 3 to 4 months. . . i guess ill be able to check it out.