5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

STILL GOT A VIBRATION...ARGGGG!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:22 PM
KILLA E
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: STILL GOT A VIBRATION...ARGGGG!!!!!!!!

No i swapped my 95 motor for a 88 motor and yea i took the belt off and started it,same vibration..... and i know that both the balancer and the flywheel are 50 oz so that might not be the problem...unless i bent or warped the flywheel somehow on install???
Old 12-14-2006, 08:12 PM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

what kinda motor mounts..solids suk on street..
Old 12-14-2006, 08:59 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

did this engine vibrate before you got it? did you install a new clutch or reuse the old one. If you reuse the old clutch and didn't index it and put it on the same as it came off you may get a vibration.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:42 PM
bobbyward
2nd Gear Member

in my 30 some years messing with 289/302 + more i have never replace flywheel bolts ?
i never had a failure, your flywheel can only go on one way as the pattern only allow one way
and still bolts in , the pressure plate will fit in any position, there is no chance the
exhaust could be rubbing on something is there ?
if that engine has been rebuild you never know whats going on inside, could have different weight pistons etc from a poor engine rebuilder, mis match parts
have you checked the compression just to make sure all cylinders are egual ? and all are firing
like it should ? vibrations can be a pain, chased a vibe on my daughter car and didn't see at
first the trans mount had broken and laided down on the brace and was metal to metal and just
at lower sppeds , not setting still idling! found the problem by accident when the car was on a lift at the exhaust shop !
couple things to think about
Old 12-15-2006, 12:00 AM
KILLA E
2nd Gear Member

I am using polyutrathane mounts and brand new ones at that, what does indexing the clutch mean? i re-used my old one cuz it still looked good, i just lined it up against the pressure plate best i could and bolted it on, so i dont know, i about have my tranny pulled so i can re-adjust and inspect the flywheel...shure hope i had too at this point damn it.....
Old 12-15-2006, 01:06 AM
KILLA E
2nd Gear Member

bump
Old 12-15-2006, 01:12 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

torque wrenches are your friend... should be ~75 ft/lbs on the flywheel bolts and i believe 22ft/lbs for the clutch pressure plate bolts
Old 12-15-2006, 12:11 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

Different weight pistons is a possibility, why I asked if it vibrated before. Indexing means you mark it so when you put it back on it's the same as it came off. A clutch and flywheel will wear to each other and can cause a vibration if not replaced exactly how it came off. Happened to me and drove me nuts chasing a vibration. I changed everything I could see that rotated, finally was told about the clutch, changed it and the vibration went away.