5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How do I know??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:51 AM
Britte86
1st Gear Member

Default How do I know??

I'm not sure the my car's past. I have no idea how old my clutch is. The most I really know about my car is that it used to be an LX, has been transfer to a GT. Mechanics who have worked on it basically told me that it looks like someone started to make it a hotrod, then stopped halfway through. I know my 302 is an HO, not a winsler (is that the name?), and I know the the guy I bought it from has no idea how to properly put an exhaust on and the guy before him was even worse and used to race it.

Ok, now that I've rambled on, my real question is, how do I know when a clutch is going? I know it doesn't like going in reverse and I have to force it in sometimes and it makes an awful grinding sound. Sometimes I get lucky and if I put it in forth and then into reverse then it goes in smoothly. I dont like how incredibly heavy my clutch is, but I dont know if there is a way around it since it's cables. How much does getting a clutch replaced cost? One mechanic told me $1000 and i have the sneaky suspicion he's trying to rip me off because I'm a girl.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:57 AM
84 Turbo stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How do I know??

that guy is trying to ream you! dont let it happen. Your reverse synchronizers might be going bad. To check the clutch take off in first roll about 10 mph. then put it in third. If the car revves upp and slowly revs down and the grabbes. its bad. Or if you fell slippage when your getting into the throttle. (By the way, Its WINDSOR)
Old 12-15-2006, 01:03 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

na, there isnt a syncro going to Reverse, throw her(or i guess him in your case, lol) in 5th then reverse... itll go in fine... if the clutch is going it could slip(rpms build up but no acceleration, youll smell it too), also, will release close to the floor and catch almost all the way out...

and jw... where ya from? saw a chick drivin a 5.0 today, dont see that too often...(doubt it was you, but jw)

and hey lets see this car!!!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 01:04 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Im sure we can find a nice local gentleman to help you out with a clutch in your car. If you were closer to RI I would do it for you.... but PA is a 5+ hour drive.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:10 AM
Britte86
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

na, there isnt a syncro going to Reverse, throw her(or i guess him in your case, lol) in 5th then reverse... itll go in fine... if the clutch is going it could slip(rpms build up but no acceleration, youll smell it too), also, will release close to the floor and catch almost all the way out...

and jw... where ya from? saw a chick drivin a 5.0 today, dont see that too often...(doubt it was you, but jw)

and hey lets see this car!!!!!
I'm from Pittsburgh, PA, but I go to school outside of Philly. Yeah, I need to get a nice picture of the car. I have one of me in it, but it's a crappy picture. What does it smell like?
Old 12-15-2006, 01:12 AM
84 Turbo stang
2nd Gear Member

if it releases close to the floor, then it could be the cable.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:15 AM
Britte86
1st Gear Member

The cables were replaced in september, actually.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:17 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

idk... i dunno how to describe it... clutch has a smell for sure... just dunno how to describe it... like ok, if you go to spin them, and you think there spinnin(cuza rpms, etc) but then it doenst smell like tire but something else, its prob the clutch slipping... maybe someone else can describe the smell.

and im in cecil county MD, so wasnt u, lol...
Old 12-15-2006, 01:17 AM
84 Turbo stang
2nd Gear Member

the smell makes me sick. Mab just because I know what it is. but its kinda like the smell when you ride your brakes hard. just worse.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:18 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea thats a good way to describe it... but ALOT worse...