5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Get low

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 04:33 PM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

Default Get low

Ok I am tired of my car looking like a 4x4 with my low pros and 18's so I am lowering it next week. I have a couple questions though, I am going to get the Eibach pro springs to drop it 1.5 inches. My car sags to the drivers side slightly, will the springs fix that? Also, should I get shocks too, should I just order the ford racing handling kit (shocks,springs,sway bars)? I cant decide the best route since my experience with lowering cars is limited. HELP ME PLEASE!
Old 12-17-2006, 04:39 PM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Get low

Also, I have noticed my car has 4 shocks on the back. Or at least appears to have 4 shocks on the back. What the heck does it have 4 shocks for and how come the lowering kits dont come with 4 back shocks?
Old 12-17-2006, 04:48 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

those 2 extra shocks in the back are the quad shocks, people usually ditch them when they get upper/lower control arms, they're only there to dampen the back and forth axle movement, you won't need to change them.

i'd get matching shocks/struts with the springs, especially if it's sagging, otherwise be prepared for a bouncy ride. what kind of budget do you have and what are your plans?
Old 12-17-2006, 04:52 PM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

Well, I want something thats going to perform good on the street, I need to get my suspension in working order. Its squeaky and sloppy. I need new bushing as well, could I replace my bushings in my driveway or do you think I should get some professional help? I have about 400-500 to spend on shocks and springs.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:13 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

the eibach pro-system (spring/shocks/struts) is usually around 700$ ...it's a good street kit, i have it in my ZX3. but it can actually be cheaper and better to piece together your own with H&R, steeda, eibach springs etc for around 200-250$.... and get some adjustable shocks/struts like tokico 5 ways or strange 10 ways for around 400-450$.

i've changed my struts/shocks in my driveway so sure it's "doable"... heck i've seen people do motorswaps in their driveways. it depends on your abilities and if you have the right tools mostly.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:19 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE
heck i've seen people do motorswaps in their driveways. it depends on your abilities and if you have the right tools mostly.
lol, the first time I pulled an engine was in my backyard and it involved a tree, some chains, and a come along.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:34 PM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

ha ha nice work, i am just tryin to get this done in a way that i wont be having problems later, like i heard if you lower your car with stock shocks you'll blow out your shocks.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:42 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

lmao @ "a tree and some chains" now that's ingenuity right there

if you put springs alone it does not really help performance, it's mostly for looks, the ride gets bouncy and it does wear out your stock shocks/struts alot quicker. now you say your car is sagging too, i wouldn't take any chances and i'd do everything all at once, get it alined once and there ya go, a worry-free job well done.

there is a kit that is more in your price range from ford i think, the bullit/tockico shocks/struts and FRPP lowering springs. it doesn't lower the car as much though (.75" i think) and it's only a slight upgrade in performance, but it's still an improvement over stock.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:43 PM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

Hows about the Eibach springs with KYB Gas shocks?
Old 12-17-2006, 05:48 PM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

also why does my car sag, are my springs worn out?

Quick Reply: Get low