5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Price of heater core repair?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 07:52 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Default RE: Price of heater core repair?

I just did mine 2 weeks ago. Keep all your bolts organized and take your time. I've got a few pictures of my install if you wanna see em.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:02 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

Does it actually get cold enough that you need it in California?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:28 PM
live4motocross11
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93 LX FiveO

i work at a shop and thats something i wouldnt even want to do myself

replacing the part is easy just taking the whole damn dash apart is what really kills it...

i work at a shop i dont think i would ever pay to have it done, it does take a while but man its really not all that much once u get the dash apart, i dont think id wanna pay 600 bucks to have someone put in a 20$ part just like stated above. and im sure u can probaly find a diagram somewhere on this massive internet to help you out
Old 12-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackLX

Does it actually get cold enough that you need it in California?
Thanks for all the replies folks. It doesn't get cold enough in SoCal that I NEED heat...just cold enough that I sure would like to have it. We've had some cool nights here--even as low as 40 degrees, believe it or not. That's not typical though. I just like to have heat in the morning, and after sitting in a cold office building all day, and getting off work when it's dark outside.

In terms of doing it myself, I guess I could. The truth is, I have a lot going on right now, and it would suck up a lot of time. Not to mention, I have knee and neck issues that make wrenching hard sometimes. Also, I'm a sissy, so that doesn't help much either.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:43 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

It's not too bad... If you have a buddy help you out it can be done in about 3-4 hours. Taking the dash apart is the easy part, the hardest part was disconnecting the lines that were stuck on the old core. (We were trying to salvage the hoses because no one had them in stock locally)

Here is a good article.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/5652/

Old 12-17-2006, 11:19 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

i tell my friends, i have a steam machine, [:'(]
Old 12-18-2006, 12:10 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

ORIGINAL: aode06

i tell my friends, i have a steam machine, [:'(]
Yea, when mine went...I turned the defroster on and I got a window full of misted anti freeze...Needless to say I couldnt see SHAT
Old 12-18-2006, 01:08 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

ORIGINAL: PJB

I got quoted anywhere from $450-$700 when I called a bunch of shops a few months ago.

Mine is still bypassed and hopefully a guy I know is going to do it for alot cheaper.
Thanks, PJB. I'm gonna make some calls tomorrow and see. I just wanted to get an idea of what a normal rate was, beforehand. Mine's bypassed too, and I'm getting sick of having no heat. I'd much rather spend the $600 or whatever on rims, but they won't really keep me warm.
No problem. I dont have an extra $600 laying around to pay a shop to do it so Im hopefully getting a guy to do it when he does my gears and shift kit for alot less money.
Having no heat in December sucks and its sometimes the reason I dont drive the car when I have a chance to.
I probably called 10 places getting prices one day.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:57 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

it can be done in less than 3 hours if u work quick and if u gotta do it again it will take even less time

i did mine last year and im about to have to do it again make sure to buy a ford heater core or ull be doing it again like me also flush the coolant

i did mine last year with a core from advanced[:@]
Old 12-18-2006, 02:21 AM
warthrone
1st Gear Member

Im doing mine right now also. Its not as bad as it seems. I'd never pay someone that much to do it, thats just insanity. There's not as many steps required as you'd think. There's only about 7 main screws holding it in, and the steering column setup.

Even if I had the money to pay someone to do it I wouldnt, it's not that bad!!

Quick Reply: Price of heater core repair?