5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

guess mods don't make your car faster..

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Shmeddie

Default RE: guess mods don't make your car faster..

How hot was it that day?
Old 12-19-2006, 01:06 PM
blk95snake
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: live4motocross11

the only thing i can think of is in my auto ive noticed if u just flat out floor it mine seems to bog a little and is slower than if u dont just straight put it down but more so "ease into it aggressivly" if that makes ne scence?
I can't agree more. My 94 cobra is the same way. When I floor it the car bogs, but when I ease it in it seems to have a lot more power. The weird thing is if I time it just right (in the right rpm range) it will take off. I've convinced it's the crappy computers in the 94-95s. I've never had any problems like this with my fox or 98 gt. I'm probably going to get rid of mine soon too. You can still make these go fast, but it's much less of a headache with any other year.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:19 PM
blk95snake
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

All I can say is you should of been faster than that. Another thing, just because it's an auto doesn't mean it can't be launched. There is some type of weird *** loop hole in the autos set up where if you do a D-2-D shift set you'll gain a huge power boost off the line, so the way you launch will deffinitly effect your times. Another thing, the 24lb injectors shouldn't make much of a difference as long as the car was tuned. Last time I checked you only use the full amount of fuel from an injector when you hit a certain RPM, in other words 19lbers are good to roughly 280hp, 24lbs 350-375 hp, 30lbs 425-450, etc, but when in normal driving a 42lb injector shouldn't use anymore than a stock injector because you're still taking in the same amount of air as you used to, but that's just the way I've understood it, if it's wrong please let me know.

Also my sn-95 5.0L did pretty damn well on my last trip to the dyno, so the BS that they don't like mods is just that, BS, they're the same freeking engine as the older models except for the intake setup. Now maybe the foxs respond a hair bit better but I don't forsee it being anything drastic. Just my 2 cents though.
They are similar to the foxes, but the COMPUTERS are different and that's what determines how the car responds to these modifications. I'm sure all it takes is a good tunning, but without that the computer seems to get confused. Everytime I unhook my battery for an hour or so and then hook it back up, the car runs differently. It's really weird. I just had mine into the Ford house for repairs and they ran a full diagnostic. Everything is fine, but it still bogs at times for no reason. When it runs strong, it's fast though.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fastman

hmm i did the 24 cus i thought one of my injectors was bad... but that was my screw up.. it still ran like crap with them in.. i really can't decide if i should rebuild it or get a newer car...[:@]
Did youmatchand calibrate yourmass air sensor to these 24# injectors?
Old 12-19-2006, 02:05 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Hmm...........mine never has that problem, it does, at times, have a "HARD START" like it will start up and strain to stay running, but if I rev it up really fast it runs fine, personally I think that's a fuel pump problem, which I'm about to fix. Hmm, since my car did so well with my mods, I wonder if one of the previous owners, perhapse the one that did the 331 stroker, put in an older foxbody ecu. I took it out to install the tweecer, but didn't pay much attention to it.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:08 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Oh, before somebody catches it, I had a typo, the D-2-D driving doesn't really improve off the line times, although it does help with 1rst-2nd gear, it tightens up the firmness of the shifts. In other words before you hit your shift point, like a second or two before, you downshift from D-2, then when it's time to shift, you go back from 2-D, you'll have to perfect it, but from what I've heard, it can make a world of difference.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88blackgt

a taller tire is like having numericly higher gears, fewer revolutions to cover the same distance

it usually comes into play when you are running out of gear, as people go from a 28 inch tall to a 26 for example

in this case though, using a taller tire would be like putting gears in, but probably to a smaller degree
Sorry but that is backwards, think about it thise way, your going to be able to have more revolutions with a 26 rather than 28 because its shorter right? Tires turning faster would mean you would be turning more RPMs, get it?
Old 12-19-2006, 03:31 PM
sirkus

ORIGINAL: Scout2232

ORIGINAL: 88blackgt

a taller tire is like having numericly higher gears, fewer revolutions to cover the same distance

it usually comes into play when you are running out of gear, as people go from a 28 inch tall to a 26 for example

in this case though, using a taller tire would be like putting gears in, but probably to a smaller degree
Sorry but that is backwards, think about it thise way, your going to be able to have more revolutions with a 26 rather than 28 because its shorter right? Tires turning faster would mean you would be turning more RPMs, get it?
I know I had a 92 240 with an sr20 in it. I took the set of 16's off of it and put some 18's on it. The car felt sooo much slower. (until I knocked it up to 14psi) Speedometer was off a good bit too. I guess you just have to build the power to match your rim size.
But I think what he's talking about with the 28 and the 26... it would be like having a bicycle with a 30" wheel and a bike with a 15" wheel. Once you get them rolling at the same speed the one with the 30" will go 2x farther. And with the 15" you would have to pedal harder to keep up, but the 30" will be hard to pedal the whole time. It's just one of those win-lose situations.
I think I just confused myself. [&:]
Old 12-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Stanpower
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fastman

hmm thanks for the 2 cents
ORIGINAL: jthorn9

All I can say is you should of been faster than that. Another thing, just because it's an auto doesn't mean it can't be launched. There is some type of weird *** loop hole in the autos set up where if you do a D-2-D shift set you'll gain a huge power boost off the line, so the way you launch will deffinitly effect your times. Another thing, the 24lb injectors shouldn't make much of a difference as long as the car was tuned. Last time I checked you only use the full amount of fuel from an injector when you hit a certain RPM, in other words 19lbers are good to roughly 280hp, 24lbs 350-375 hp, 30lbs 425-450, etc, but when in normal driving a 42lb injector shouldn't use anymore than a stock injector because you're still taking in the same amount of air as you used to, but that's just the way I've understood it, if it's wrong please let me know.

Also my sn-95 5.0L did pretty damn well on my last trip to the dyno, so the BS that they don't like mods is just that, BS, they're the same freeking engine as the older models except for the intake setup. Now maybe the foxs respond a hair bit better but I don't forsee it being anything drastic. Just my 2 cents though.
I agree don't give up on you sn95 they great cars!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

A while back i raced a stock Acura TL Automatic, and my car was completely stock. He beat me. Now i got a stage 1 clutch and a CAI and i blew the doors off of it last night.

Those 2 mods helped me out alot