5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

power downgrade on covertibles

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 02:32 PM
vertstang95

Default power downgrade on covertibles

does ford really downgrade the power output from covertible mustangs because of the weaker body or just talk.
if so what is a quick and cheap way to either bypass or just increase power i have already put subframes on and not worryed about twisting right now
any info is great
thanks
Old 12-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: power downgrade on covertibles

I dont think they downgraded the power, but they are slower cause the frame is heavier
Old 12-19-2006, 02:55 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yup, same motor, same power... heavier car(because of the added suport added to make up for the suport a roof woulda gave it) so there slower cuza the power:weight ratio
Old 12-19-2006, 03:09 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vertstang95

does ford really downgrade the power output from covertible mustangs because of the weaker body or just talk.
if so what is a quick and cheap way to either bypass or just increase power i have already put subframes on and not worryed about twisting right now
any info is great
thanks
It's no different than any other 5.0. If you want more power, add go-fast parts It will hold up just fine.

I've got 430 RWHP in my 95 GT Convertible and there are no issues...other than the occasional blown gasket
Old 12-19-2006, 03:16 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I drove my convertible this morning around the block (the only mods on it are subframes, shift kit and no mufflers, other than that it's completely stock) and damn does it feel slow compared to the hatch.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:19 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

think it has to do w those minor mods to the hatch?[8D]lol
Old 12-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I owned an 88 Vert and that's the last time I'll ever get a vert. It was a dog, and not to mention I thought the roof was in good condition until it rained and there was 1 inch of water in my floorboards cause the latches were bad at the top and I couldnt tell til it was too late. Not to mention, the rear window is expensive as hell to get replaced. NEVERgetting one of thoseagain.Next time I'll do the Ttop [&o]
Old 12-19-2006, 03:23 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Edge_of_Sanity

Yeah I owned an 88 Vert and that's the last time I'll ever get a vert. It was a dog, and not to mention I thought the roof was in good condition until it rained and there was 1 inch of water in my floorboards cause the latches were bad at the top and I couldnt tell til it was too late. Not to mention, the rear window is expensive as hell to get replaced. NEVERgetting one of thoseagain.Next time I'll do the Ttop [&o]
I have an 87 vert too. Don't forget though that the newer vert rear windows are not that cleap plastic crap that you can't see through. I'm sure it's still expensive to replace, but it needs replacing a lot less and is much clearer and more effective. Not to mention a rear defroster
Old 12-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

That's true, the newer ones like you have in your pic are better designed. I'll never get a fox body Vert, that is.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:43 PM
vertstang95

so the different computer in the verts compared to the coupes doesnt make a differnce with fuel curve or anything

Quick Reply: power downgrade on covertibles