MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   So remember how i was effed the other day (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/220138-so-remember-how-i-was-effed-the-other-day.html)

87FiveO 12-19-2006 04:33 PM

So remember how i was effed the other day

So when i got the car towed i had them leave it in front of the house. Well i pulled it in today and forced the car to run even though it wanted to die by giving it alotta gas. Well the belt took a poo and just ripped in half then the engine ran completely fine. So Should i just get a new tensioner, belt and some underdrive pulleys and would that solve my problem?

92hatchLX 12-19-2006 04:36 PM

RE: So remember how i was effed the other day

What was wrong with it originally? I can't remember, sorry.

94gtcoupe 12-19-2006 04:38 PM

sounds like a "frozen" pullie... possible a/c smog

88blackgt 12-19-2006 04:38 PM

not sure why you would need u/d pullies

87FiveO 12-19-2006 04:40 PM

92lx, on my way home from emissions something happened to one of the pullies and the belt was rubbing really hard on one of them and created so much tension that the engine would barely run so i had to have it towed home. Well when i moved the car into my garage today i didnt let it die and just kept giving it gas well the belt snapped off and the engine ran fine after that

87FiveO 12-19-2006 04:40 PM

:Dxmas gift to myself and more power

94gtcoupe 12-19-2006 05:05 PM

try spinning the pullies by hand, the only one that you shouldn't be able to sping is the crank all the others should spin freely... the one you can't spin is the one that need to be replaced... and more than likely it's not the pully it's the component the pully is attached to

gspfunk 12-19-2006 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

try spinning the pullies by hand, the only one that you shouldn't be able to sping is the crank all the others should spin freely... the one you can't spin is the one that need to be replaced... and more than likely it's not the pully it's the component the pully is attached to
^^^100% correct. My smog pump froze up and caused the same issue. Changing pullies won't fix the problem. They will give you a little more power once the issue is fixed, though. I would do the 130A alternator swap also....you'll have low voltage at idle on the stocker.

94gtcoupe 12-19-2006 05:39 PM

y dies everyone worry about low voltage at idle??? how long are you actualy at idle??? and a fully discharged batt. will fully charge in under 5 min. with 100A alt.so low volage at idle isn't realy a problem unless you get stuck on the high way in one spot for 12 hours (exateration)lol

sorry a little off topic just one of those things that i wonder about...

gspfunk 12-19-2006 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

y dies everyone worry about low voltage at idle??? how long are you actualy at idle??? and a fully discharged batt. will fully charge in under 5 min. with 100A alt.so low volage at idle isn't realy a problem unless you get stuck on the high way in one spot for 12 hours (exateration)lol

sorry a little off topic just one of those things that i wonder about...
B/c some of us live in the city and deal w/ stop-n-go traffic both ways to work. Plus, if you're running a stereo system and/or you're A/C........well, lets just say it's not a good thing.

Also, you mentioned a 100A alt....the stocker is 75A. That's ~30A at idle. My 130A alt puts down 70-80 at idle....no more dimming lights:D