5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

cam questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

Default cam questions

how big of an differense will a new cam make in hp/performance talk. im getting roller rockers installed so i was thinkin might as well get a new cam installed while im at it. also what would be a good cam for my mods
Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: cam questions

Something with no bigger than a .512 lift if you're sticking with 1.6's. Is your compression stock?
Old 12-20-2006, 12:42 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

If you are still running the stock heads, I would not change cams. You won't notice much benefit.

Your sig says catback exhaust, so I'm presume you're running the stock mid-pipe and headers. I would upgrade those first and then a larger MAF and TB (w/ the intake of course).

People will tell you the intake won't do you much good, which is partially true, but if you increase the amount of air flow (i.e. MAF and TB), then you'll have more velocity. Plus, I don't think you can run a bigger TB on the stocker w/o opening it up a little (60mm opening).

Hope that helps.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

yeah IMO heads should be the first thing to change. Bothring to put roller rockers on stock heads dosen't do much good really.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:55 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I felt a good performance increase with my TF street heat intake on stock heads and stock cam. Added the TrickFlow Stage 1 cam and I felt apretty bigperformance boost. I'd say if youdon't haveenough cash for headsand you feel like tearing apart your motor, go for it.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:59 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

It's a good learning experience, I just don't want anyone to think a cam or intake w/ stock heads will give them 50rwhp. It is worth doing just b/c the potential is there....especially if you have the parts and are just waiting. I'm running the E cam, but I ported my E7's w/ my dremmel.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

If you are still running the stock heads, I would not change cams. You won't notice much benefit.

Your sig says catback exhaust, so I'm presume you're running the stock mid-pipe and headers. I would upgrade those first and then a larger MAF and TB (w/ the intake of course).

People will tell you the intake won't do you much good, which is partially true, but if you increase the amount of air flow (i.e. MAF and TB), then you'll have more velocity. Plus, I don't think you can run a bigger TB on the stocker w/o opening it up a little (60mm opening).

Hope that helps.
Cough Cough it's a pushrod motor Cough Cough

Old 12-20-2006, 01:04 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

It's a good learning experience, I just don't want anyone to think a cam or intake w/ stock heads will give them 50rwhp. It is worth doing just b/c the potential is there....especially if you have the parts and are just waiting. I'm running the E cam, but I ported my E7's w/ my dremmel.
I wouldn't be surprised ifcam/intake/andgasketmatched E7'swas worth 30-40 ponies.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:10 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

Hope that helps.
Cough Cough it's a pushrod motor Cough Cough

Yeah I know...I just worded it like that b/c he didn't know what cam he wanted yet, thus cams (plural).

Old 12-20-2006, 01:55 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

I wouldn't be surprised ifcam/intake/andgasketmatched E7'swas worth 30-40 ponies.
I would.

Quick Reply: cam questions