5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:47 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default clutch question

i've been noticing that its been getting increasingly harder to get it into 2nd when i'm accelerating any harder than, say, stop and go type traffic. all other gears are almost smooth, a little tension, but 2nd is almost impossible not to grind if your goin' hard. i'm planning on an adjustable quadrant and cable sometime soon, will this fix the problem? 83k, i'm also gonna do a fluid exchange as well, but if the fluid was the problem, it would do it in every gear, right?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:51 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: clutch question

I would think it's a tranny problem more than the clutch if all the other gears shift ok. I would also try changing the fluid to see where that gets you. I have seen it correct shifting problems.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:54 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i thought you were a mechanic??? any way yes if it was fluid it would be every gear... sounds like the clutch it'sn fully releasing, try to adjust it if that doesn't help then it's a syncro... my money is on the clutch not releasing or the input shaft having a "bur" abd getting caught on the pilot bearing... could be a combination... and pro sencond has more torque on the gears... if he could shift into 1st and a higher rpm it would prolly do it too. the problem might not be bad enough to notice it in other gears
Old 12-20-2006, 07:54 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

to me, from driving it, it seems like a clutch issue. the pedal grabs almost all the way up, so... the way i see it, the more torque i'm trying to push through, the harder it is. i dunno. all speculation i guess. only thing i can do is drop the trans and install a nice clutch, do the cable and fluid at the same time. what kind of fluid do the t5's take? my 5spd in my explorer takes 3qts of synthetic atf
Old 12-20-2006, 07:57 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

i thpight you were a mechanic??? any way yes if it was fluid it would be every gear... sounds like the clutch it'sn fully releasing, try to adjust it if that doesn't help then it's a syncro... my money is on the clutch not releasing or the input shaft having a "bur" abd getting caught on the pilot bearing
yah, well, mechanic's don't exist anymore. we preferred to be called technicians now. only reason i ask is to get idea's of where to start, see if anyone has had a similar issue. this is one of those "replace it til it's fixed" kinda deals, and i'd rather get opinions from other fox owners before i start spending money.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:59 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

what year is the t-5??? non world class take 80W90... world class takes dextron mercron III, sythetic can be used as long as it's not freshly rebuilt
ORIGINAL: mattdel

to me, from driving it, it seems like a clutch issue. the pedal grabs almost all the way up, so... the way i see it, the more torque i'm trying to push through, the harder it is. i dunno. all speculation i guess. only thing i can do is drop the trans and install a nice clutch, do the cable and fluid at the same time. what kind of fluid do the t5's take? my 5spd in my explorer takes 3qts of synthetic atf
Old 12-20-2006, 08:02 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

what year is the t-5??? non world class take 80W90... world class takes dextron mercron III, sythetic can be used as long as it's not freshly rebuilt

Old 12-20-2006, 08:02 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

yea yea yea mechanic technicain same thing... i don't care what people call me, i still fix cars so whatever...and my tranny did this at one point turned out to be a bad clutch and pilot bearing...and it doesn't haveto be a replace it till you fix it things, you can inspect them to see if things are bad

i thpight you were a mechanic??? any way yes if it was fluid it would be every gear... sounds like the clutch it'sn fully releasing, try to adjust it if that doesn't help then it's a syncro... my money is on the clutch not releasing or the input shaft having a "bur" abd getting caught on the pilot bearing
yah, well, mechanic's don't exist anymore. we preferred to be called technicians now. only reason i ask is to get idea's of where to start, see if anyone has had a similar issue. this is one of those "replace it til it's fixed" kinda deals, and i'd rather get opinions from other fox owners before i start spending money.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:04 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

ok about 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 dextron mercron III synthetic if you want