5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cooling system is acting wierd...need help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 11:04 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cooling system is acting wierd...need help ASAP!

You have some mad paint skills hack, LOL. I kinda understand, but I don't understand why I'd have an air bubble anywhere in the system. I never took the bottom hose off...but I'll trust you! Maybe I had a bubble in the system from when I did my water pump and it's not affecting my car until now.

I did take the top hose off (obviously) to do the thermostat, don't think that'd do anything. I'll burp it tomorrow and see how it goes.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:20 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

you had to take the lower hose off to do the water pump and your rad
Old 12-21-2006, 01:53 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Yeah but that was three months age and this didn't start happening until a week and a half ago.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:21 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you either have an air pocket or you have a very small leak. Does your heat go away when you come to a complete stop? I would try jacking the front of the car up and letting it run. Make sure you have the radiator cap off. Also when you burp the system make sure you have the heat on and at full blast that way you make sure coolant is working the air out of the heater core.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:35 AM
MACDRIVE
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VigCS

I know I do have a coolant leak but it's not a fast one. How exactly do I burp it?
You back off the cap one slot to burp the system. That vents your system to atmospheric pressure. While it's burping, you should see big gulping bubbles girgling in your over flow tank.

As far as the temp flucts, you might not be holding pressure due to that leak you have, or you might need a new radiator cap.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:49 AM
stupidaso06
2nd Gear Member

Hey, I am having the EXACT same problem with mine. Ive added coolant too, but my heat will kick off even driving and will start to overheat at any speed. I have been downshifting and running about 3,000 rpm and it seems to help. So what about this fellas? Does that help? What could it be? I put a stop leak in tonight and but idk if it worked or not.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:54 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Stop leak is the worst thing you could have done, it will more than likely clog up the radiator. I would suggest doing what is being said in this thread on your car as well.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:06 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stupidaso06

Hey, I am having the EXACT same problem with mine. Ive added coolant too, but my heat will kick off even driving and will start to overheat at any speed. I have been downshifting and running about 3,000 rpm and it seems to help. So what about this fellas? Does that help? What could it be? I put a stop leak in tonight and but idk if it worked or not.
Well my heat doesn't get too hot, it just goes from being hot to cold as the temps fluctuate, and as I said my engine never overheats, it'll climb to 195, maybe 197-98 and never go above that.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:31 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

you need to fix that leak where is it the thermastat housing? mine always manages to leak there
Old 12-21-2006, 02:37 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tmajikman

Stop leak is the worst thing you could have done, it will more than likely clog up the radiator. I would suggest doing what is being said in this thread on your car as well.
I used to work at an ATV dealership and one mechanic worked on a riding mower that had a leak in the rad. He put three bottles of stop leak in the rad LMFAO. The next day the owner brought it back in with a blown motor and we had to replace it for him.

Quick Reply: Cooling system is acting wierd...need help ASAP!