5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

time to rebuild, help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 11:14 PM
EDGE23

Default time to rebuild, help please

ok, im a complete noob when it comes to engines and stuff, so i really need your advice on this one.
my 95 gt engine needs to be rebuild, since i dont know shhhh about rebuilding im going to have to pay. i email the guys who will probably do this job, i need to know if this is reasonable for 859.00 (ill pull the engine myself and take it to them) plus a 250 deposit[:@] on core return.

This engine features all new internal parts, complete gasket set, oil pump and valvetrain installed. The heads are surfaced, new guides and seals installed, and are finished with a 3 angle valve job. Crankshafts are reground and micropolished to factory specs. The motor is pretested for compression, oil pressure and oil flow before leaving the factory.

thanks and any input will be appreciated
Old 12-21-2006, 02:59 PM
EDGE23

Default RE: time to rebuild, help please

bump. come on guys, i need to know if this is a good deal or no, if so about how much should i expect to pay for a stock rebuilt?

thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 03:42 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

thats sounds like a decent price, but why go bone stock.. ur paying for ur cam to be ground, heads, internals, etc... thats pretty well just dumb

whats wrong with the motor first of all?? i cant see you needing a new bottom end thats for sure, figure out whats wrong, get those parts new (but aftermarket performance) have them ebuild it with bearings, seals, gaskets, oil pump, etc
Old 12-21-2006, 05:16 PM
EDGE23

what's wrog with it the knockning, oil pump and gaskets, I just did a tune up and the prevuios owner was running the car with only 1 quarter or maybe 1.5 of oil on the engine. so I figure might as well rebuild. I wish I had the knowledge like you guys. so you recommend me buying all the partss needed and let the shop install evrything for me? I really don't know anything about heads, camm and that stuff. I tought that rebuilding to stock was cheaper that's why I asked. thanks for your reply man.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:48 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

well rebuilding to stock would be cheaper, but nothing more than u started with. have you considered buying a new motor from another mustang or even a explorer??? then you dont have to pay a shop anything, just buy the motor and swap them. try using the search function and look up something like rebuild motor, and see what you can find.. likely find some good ideas on what to do. i personally would never pay that kinda dough to have a stock motor.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:15 PM
EDGE23

ORIGINAL: dc_mann8

well rebuilding to stock would be cheaper, but nothing more than u started with. have you considered buying a new motor from another mustang or even a explorer??? then you dont have to pay a shop anything, just buy the motor and swap them. try using the search function and look up something like rebuild motor, and see what you can find.. likely find some good ideas on what to do. i personally would never pay that kinda dough to have a stock motor.
ok, I got you man. today or tomorrow ill g to the junk yard and see what I can find. I've been thinking about this; swap motor from junk yard (since I can't afford to park my car right now) and fix the old motor with whatever $$$ I have untill more funds are available.
one last question, I was told that if I do get a 347 my car wouldn't be a good daily driver. is that true or just some bull? thanks for pointing @ the right direcion man.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:21 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Depends on parts, cr, etc. There is alot of stuff to factor into a car when considering it a "daily driver". And everyone has different definitions of a "daily driver" ****... I know someone who drives a 69 Chevelle w/a built 540 in it almost all year around. I wouldnt consider that a good DD but he does... get what Im saying? The price sounds pretty decent. I might be doing the same.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:32 PM
enzedchris
2nd Gear Member

I would get a junkyard explorer engine if I were you, and have it freshened up. They have the good gt-40 heads on them stock, I have about 20 pairs of those heads for my own discression haha. I have a 5.0 explorer myself and it has some *****, trust me. Definately don't go stock though, keep it running longer, get some forged internals or something, might as well get into the performance crowd, it's a fun thing to do.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:46 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I got the same thing you're talking about for $512 from City Motor Supply. I got a stock 306 shortblock ($372 w/ full set Felpro gaskets) and reman'd E7's (dipped, 3-angle valve job, new seals, valves, etc; $70 each). I didn't have to pay a core since I gave them my old 302 and heads, and they even delivered the shortblock to my house. They also put in my E cam for no charge (since they have to put a cam in it anyway) and installed my Crane valve spring kit for $20.

If I had it to do all over agian, I'd find a local builder to do up a 331 or 347. Either one will make an excellent DD, it just depends on what cam and mods you throw at it.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:56 PM
88MustangGX
2nd Gear Member

well to give you an idea, i found an engine for 1400 with a 375 core. 3yr/100k warrenty through rhino engines. So that seems reasonable. I tell ya what man i am rebuilding mine and it's a blast. Your learn soo much from doing this yourself. Not to mention it's pretty easy to take it out and tear it down. good luck

Quick Reply: time to rebuild, help please