5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

i need help really bad!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:22 AM
red89fiveO
1st Gear Member

Default i need help really bad!!

ok everyone i am having some serious problems with my new motor.... we hooked everything up for the engine to atleast run. running out of the headers, no drive shaft, and i do not kno if this makes any difference or not but there is no tranny fluid in the transmission or any power steering fluid.. but we are just trying to start it now while its still on jack stands and dont have everything all hooked up just to take it back off again!

when we turn the key it tries to crank over but smoke starts coming out, it makes some popping noises, and then we shut it off... tried that 3 times and then thought it would be best to call it a night and try to get some advice!!

this engine was a professional rebuild and still has assembly lube on anything that moves, we are using supertech oil from walmart just to get it primed and clean all the gritty crap out and then have some royal purple waiting to go in. if anyone can please help it would be greatly appreciated!!

here are the videos..
Number 1 (Inside the car)
Number 2 (Outside the car)
Number 3 (Outside the car)

[:@]
Thanks,
Dustin
Old 12-21-2006, 06:34 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: i need help really bad!!

It sounds like its out of time. You also might wanna check all the ground straps to make sure they are hooked up. On the timing thing unplug the pill from the dizzy harness and play with the timing while turning it over. Also double check to make sure you are set at number one compression stroke.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:35 AM
MACDRIVE
2nd Gear Member

For starters... if you do get it fired up, you're going to need fluid in the trans to keep it from burning up.

Make sure your battery cables are routed right and not shorted to ground.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:38 AM
MACDRIVE
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: red89fiveO

when we turn the key it tries to crank over but smoke starts coming out, it makes some popping noises, and then we shut it off... tried that 3 times and then thought it would be best to call it a night and try to get some advice!!
Are you sure your battery is fully charged man?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:02 AM
red89fiveO
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mcfomco

It sounds like its out of time. You also might wanna check all the ground straps to make sure they are hooked up. On the timing thing unplug the pill from the dizzy harness and play with the timing while turning it over. Also double check to make sure you are set at number one compression stroke.

when we first cranked it we did have it set on the compression stroke but obviously its not there anymore... we unplugged all the spark plugs from the distributor cap and set it again just to make sure that was not the problem.. everyone seems to be telling me to check my cables... is everything possibly a result of that or wat else might be a problem?

thanks a lot guys!!

Dustin
Old 12-21-2006, 11:04 AM
bdwjdw
2nd Gear Member

Timing is off
Old 12-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

You sure you gettin fuel ?

+1 as said above, play with the dizzy while crankin it.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:21 AM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

sounds like timing is off, check TDC again set timing to round 12* and start it i bet your off 180*
Old 12-21-2006, 11:44 AM
93must
3rd Gear Member

Did you have it on tdc on the #1 cylinder? It really sounds like your distributor is out. Dont take the pill out of the distributor until the motor is warmed up. You cant really check the timing with a lite until then anyway.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:51 AM
hatchdemon89
3rd Gear Member

sounds like timin thats happened to me before when ive done motor swaps in the past when u replace the dizzy loosen the bolt the holds the shaft in a move it right an left it should start

Quick Reply: i need help really bad!!