5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

OK guys short block is arriving today need advice on other goodies

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 11:08 AM
hatchdemon89
3rd Gear Member

Default OK guys short block is arriving today need advice on other goodies

OK my 306 short block says it should be arriving today! Now to complete an build the rest of the motor what should i get to get it whole figured id ask u guys before just jumpin the gun
Old 12-23-2006, 11:32 AM
turt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: OK guys short block is arriving today need advice on other goodies

Sounds exciting.... From my experiance though, when Im waiting for somthing in the mail it doesnt show up...lol Thats besides the point. I wouldnt get anything with the name edlebrock. Dont get me wrong, they make nice parts and they are good for some mods but just because the advertise a HUGE spectrum of aplications, that doesnt mean that there arent other companies out there they may not advertise as much but have parts that perform nicely. Make sure you research all your purchases. I worked building motors for race cars for a bit and I got to see some nice parts from alot of companies. With having said all that, I like to use Comp Cams Valvetrain parts (cam, valve springs, pushrods, timing sets, rockers, lifters). Heads are a big decision.... There are ALOT of companies out there that make awsome heads. Trick Flow and even Edlebrock make some nice heads. Ive had great experiences with Brodix Heads but on Fords you may have to hunt them down a bit and if you do, make sure you call the company and tell them what cam and set up you are going for. If not, the company sends them to you ready to RACE (like stiff springs and no exhaust valve seals). Take your time and do a nice job.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:36 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

ive got holley systemax 2 system on mine and im satisfied. just watch the pushrods i had to run shorter ones than what came with it. i checked valve to npiston clearance and couldnt use the ones with kit. with this kit my 306 runs 340 plus horses at rear wheel and mid 12s at 112 to 114 in 1/4 not bad for all motor and im always asked while ideling is that a 351 in there. ive included some footage of her running so you can get an idea. you might like. keep in mind the second video is running an s-10 with a 350 under the hood. and sorry about the kids nagging my wife in video, they love the races and arguing with each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceg21BoOTw4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z63RwrhIgI
Old 12-23-2006, 11:48 AM
turt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iceman89gt

and sorry about the kids nagging my wife in video, they love the races and arguing with each other.

Nice run..... My favorite part is the kids getting yelled at...lololol
Old 12-23-2006, 12:02 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

nice 347, i was thinking of doing the same but i think im gonna go 351 block and build on next motor for supercharged. i had to put in a stang box last week and next will be a c-4 3 speed wth manual shift body and slap shifter, moser rearend 9", then when 306 comes out i will put in k member ect. on front end then 351 ect. i just cant ever see putting motor in without car set up for it. otherwise it would be like running a marathon in the dead of winter across glass with nothing on but a pair of socks. ya know the bodys capable but the physics just wont allow your full potential.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:37 PM
hatchdemon89
3rd Gear Member

thanx for the info i went 306 for the price it wasn't badd 800 shipped brand new wasn't badd i was thinkin goin gt40 heads an upper an lower intake an yes comp cam not sure which cam to get though supercharger is on it was so hopefully ill have it all up an runnin for u guys this winter ill show u a video when its down when i take it to the track,its nice cuz im not moving back to ny an orlando speedway is like 10mins from where im at lol but thanx for the info guys
Old 12-23-2006, 01:42 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

just make sure shes setup to handle that force feed, you dont want her to get a belly ache over weak guts when shes being force fed. other than that bring the boost on and send some video when shes done, im gonna charge the 351 when i build it.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:47 PM
hatchdemon89
3rd Gear Member

i know thats why i went with this setup pro50c or whatever on here has a stock 302 i think an he's charged,so i hope im doin the right build i dont wanna be a penny smart dollar stupid u know,my suspenion is all done i have the same set up as rsw007 on here good buget suspenion an he's runnin 12.5 stock at the track so im hopein to be a low 11 high 10 car when shes done
Old 12-23-2006, 01:52 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

charging her, you should have no problems getting that out of her as long as suspension is right. just dont do like my cousin and be relaxed with her the first time on the track, he charged his and its a 351 and eventually saw 10.25s in the 1/4 but the first time out he stood her up and spit a freeze plug and then hit the guard rail. hes got same suspension setup as mine. just be ready she will get crazy.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:55 PM
hatchdemon89
3rd Gear Member

i can't wait but i have't to i rush an something will get f up u know she allready scars me now i mean i ran her at the track a couple weeks ago an for a stock 5.0 runnin 13.5 im all motor with some bolt ons was like whoa!But that goes to show u that suspension is alot an not alot of people do that just do a motor swap an can't break 12's

Quick Reply: OK guys short block is arriving today need advice on other goodies