5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

351 Drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:17 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: 351 Drivetrain

your gonna have to spend an easy $500 in parts plus installation labor to upgrade your tranny. Its more worth while to save that money and get a stronger trans
Old 12-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Redrider69
2nd Gear Member

I have a mechanic friend who said he could help me rebuild it for cheap, my trannys weak as it is, and like i said earyler, i dont have 2 grand for a new tranny at the moment, are there good parts out there that would help the t-5 handle the power?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

check out ddperformance.com they have everything you need. I disagree. I think it's cheaper to buy good parts and build your own transmission than blow all your money onthe same onewith those same parts just because someone else built it. I think in your situation, Id just get a good rebuild kit and you should be fine- I agree with vristang
Old 12-28-2006, 01:12 PM
CompOrangeHatch
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ih8chevy

summit sells a beefed up t5 for 1800 it can handle like 500 lb ft of torque and is a direct bolt up to the stock cross member
NO T5 WITH STOCK GEARS CAN HANDLE 500 lb ft!! It will last until he drops the hammer and throws a few quick shifts!

Just do it right man. If you gotta keep the T5 get liberty gears or G-Force or somthing. DONT WASTE YOUR $$$ ON SOME POS "World Class Z" tranny from summit.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:19 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

C4 anyone? Detroit True Locker Diff? or spool?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

C4 anyone? Detroit True Locker Diff? or spool?
Yeah thats the best way to go really, unless you really want a 5 speed. Its cheaper to get built at least. I wouldnt get a spool unless it's a drag only car. They're cheaper, but the back wheels are always spinning together and it puts stress on parts when making sharp turns
Old 12-28-2006, 02:34 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Is there anything wrong with your tranny? If not, use it till there is, then worry about getting a new one....just start saving for it now.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:27 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Redrider69

Well it seems im getting mixed opinions, right now i just can afford a new tranny, in 5 or 6 months i could, so for now, will a rebuild with better parts on the t-5 do? Im not the type who beats on the car either.
You're getting mixed comments because...
Other people don't care about how much money YOU spend on your project. Recommending insanely expensive hardware has no consequences for them.

For example I have had several people recommend a fuel system for me which can supply 1000hp worth of fuel.
When the hell am I going to use 1000hp worth of fuel???????
The 408w will only put out 600hp,IF all of my dreams come true.

The T5 you currently have will work fairly well, and should last 5-6 mo.
Don't hit the drags with slicks, and work hard not to miss shifts.
Don't do any donuts in your local parking lots.
A weak clutch will help as well.

If the car is your daily driver, and you would be abandoned without it...
It may be worthwhile to get an old 4cyl T5 to use just in case the current one fails.
If something goes wrong (and I doubt it will), atleast you will have a back up plan.

Start saving up for a good trans though. Sooner or later you will need it.
Edge_of_Sanity recommended ddperformance.com
I have worked with them on planning the rebuild for my T5.
They are knowledgable, and very willing to help.

It gets a little frustrating to constantly hear folks not open up their minds to short term solutions.
For the vast majority of Mustang owners, these cars are a constant work in progress.
Budgets are tight, as there are more important things in life to spend ones money on.

The 351w swap can add a lot of stress to that budget.

Personally,
I had to do the 351w swap with a j/y motor. Not even fresh rings.
Later I had the cash for heads and a cam.
Then the 408w stroker.

Just my opinion though,
jason
Old 12-29-2006, 03:44 AM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vristang

ORIGINAL: Redrider69

Well it seems im getting mixed opinions, right now i just can afford a new tranny, in 5 or 6 months i could, so for now, will a rebuild with better parts on the t-5 do? Im not the type who beats on the car either.
You're getting mixed comments because...
Other people don't care about how much money YOU spend on your project. Recommending insanely expensive hardware has no consequences for them.

For example I have had several people recommend a fuel system for me which can supply 1000hp worth of fuel.
When the hell am I going to use 1000hp worth of fuel???????
The 408w will only put out 600hp,IF all of my dreams come true.

The T5 you currently have will work fairly well, and should last 5-6 mo.
Don't hit the drags with slicks, and work hard not to miss shifts.
Don't do any donuts in your local parking lots.
A weak clutch will help as well.

If the car is your daily driver, and you would be abandoned without it...
It may be worthwhile to get an old 4cyl T5 to use just in case the current one fails.
If something goes wrong (and I doubt it will), atleast you will have a back up plan.

Start saving up for a good trans though. Sooner or later you will need it.
Edge_of_Sanity recommended ddperformance.com
I have worked with them on planning the rebuild for my T5.
They are knowledgable, and very willing to help.

It gets a little frustrating to constantly hear folks not open up their minds to short term solutions.
For the vast majority of Mustang owners, these cars are a constant work in progress.
Budgets are tight, as there are more important things in life to spend ones money on.

The 351w swap can add a lot of stress to that budget.

Personally,
I had to do the 351w swap with a j/y motor. Not even fresh rings.
Later I had the cash for heads and a cam.
Then the 408w stroker.

Just my opinion though,
jason
Well put!
Old 12-29-2006, 03:57 AM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

If you insist on having a manual tranny and are on a limited budget, then the Tremec is a quality tool for the job, and affordable. Do not under any circumstances go back to the T5, unless your purse strings will allow only that. They are quite frankly junk and I have personally rebuilt about a dozen of them in my younger days before I caved and went with a Doug Nash four speed that could not be blown up. That or frankly the best bet is a built C-4.....period, I used to be opposed to automatics until they started building them for Fords that were worth a damn. 8.8 rear end wouldn't hurt, and step up to the 33 splins axles if you can do it. The you can really build on all of that. My $.02

Quick Reply: 351 Drivetrain