5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

skinnies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:31 PM
FredP
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: skinnies?

bf good are more exspensive huh?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:35 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

You get what you pay for. They work and they work well.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:42 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Running skinnies on a DD is dee deedee. The point of a front runner is not only to reduce weight, but also reduce rolling resistance. A 3.5" tire has a lot less rolling resistance than a 7.5" or wider tire.
But heres the pitfalls of front runners, since 80% of your braking comes from the FRONT tires, youre effectively decreasing the braking potential because youre reducng the contact patch to the road. Therefore, youre INCREASING your stopping distance by A LOT. On a DD run AT LEAST the specified tire size, at the track go ahead and run the skinnies. Not to mention your car wont handle in the turns anymore, and forget about emergency maneuvers. Its your car and your life, but Id hate for you to make an uninformed decision.
-P.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:30 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: FredP

ohh thanks for the info so drag radials in general driving them street not daily but often will they hold up?
I have run a set of Nittos on the rear for almost three years now. The car is not a dd but there's about 10k on them and they have held up really well. They will out last all dr's on the street but they are not as sticky on the track. However they have served well for both street and track. JMO!!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:19 PM
FredP
2nd Gear Member

how much you pay for them?>
Old 12-27-2006, 09:11 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

I see your point with a stock brake set up. Mine isfar from being stock. I have the upgraded master cylinder, upgraded calipers, SSbrake lines, power slot rotors, rear discbrake conversion.
My car on skinnies will out brake any stock or mildly moddedmustang on a 7 inch tire. I am not worried about it.

I also have good suspension upgrades, so turning isnt really a problem for me also.
ORIGINAL: P Zero

Running skinnies on a DD is dee deedee. The point of a front runner is not only to reduce weight, but also reduce rolling resistance. A 3.5" tire has a lot less rolling resistance than a 7.5" or wider tire.
But heres the pitfalls of front runners, since 80% of your braking comes from the FRONT tires, youre effectively decreasing the braking potential because youre reducng the contact patch to the road. Therefore, youre INCREASING your stopping distance by A LOT. On a DD run AT LEAST the specified tire size, at the track go ahead and run the skinnies. Not to mention your car wont handle in the turns anymore, and forget about emergency maneuvers. Its your car and your life, but Id hate for you to make an uninformed decision.
-P.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:15 PM
FredP
2nd Gear Member

coo ive made my decision 15x7 front and 15x8 in the rear
Old 12-27-2006, 09:34 PM
ModularFox
Banned

ick. i hate drag wheels that are huge in the front. just never looks right imo.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: FredP

coo ive made my decision 15x7 front and 15x8 in the rear
Yeah, too wide. If you don't want the 3.5 then go w/ 5'ers. You can still run a somewhat narrow/wide tire depending on how you look at it.

Oh and what kinda car are we talking and what mods? In case I missed that part.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SSKiller

I see your point with a stock brake set up. Mine isfar from being stock. I have the upgraded master cylinder, upgraded calipers, SSbrake lines, power slot rotors, rear discbrake conversion.
My car on skinnies will out brake any stock or mildly moddedmustang on a 7 inch tire. I am not worried about it.
It still play it safe..your contact patch to the road is still a lot smaller with skinnies. If you don't have ABS then you can easily slide when wet..but it is your car and you know its limitations better than me...

Quick Reply: skinnies?