5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Automatic to Manual Tranny conversion, all help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default Automatic to Manual Tranny conversion, all help appreciated

Hello all, my first post here is unfortunately a serious one, but I promise I'll get into the flow and talk about the 5.0 Mustang soon enough. :-)

Anyway, I have a 1992 Mustang GT that I bought used about 2 years ago. It still has the stock Ford Automatic Overdrive transmission in it, and it's starting to slip while switching gears. It's just generally getting worse.

I've always considered swapping it out with a manual because it's no point putting another automatic into it and having problems all over again, not to mention it'll perform better with the manual...

Well, I think the time has come to do the swap.

I just want to know if any of you have any knowledge of exactly how to do this including a list of everything I need to buy. If any of you know of any online manuals or step-by-step instructions on how this is done, that would be greatly appreciated.

I am moderately experienced with auto work, no official training, but work on my car on almost every aspect, but this would be my biggest project so far. I also have a friend that would selfishly help whenever he can, so I want to go through with it.

Thanks guys!

[IMG]local://upfiles/9197/0A47894FC4A3442EA00E2B1DBAE59D6F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-16-2004, 01:23 PM
2001_SaleenS281_08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic to Manual Tranny conversion, all help appreciated

lol i know this doesn't help, but that is gonna suck!
Old 09-16-2004, 02:21 PM
89lx302
1st Gear Member

don't they make a kit to convert?
Old 09-16-2004, 02:54 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

before you go to all the trouble, and believe me there is a lot involved in making this swap, why don't you check out www.lentechautomatics.com and see what a really good AOD tranny can be made to do. these guys are the pioneers in increasing the performance and reliability of the Ford AOD trannies and they offer a lifetime warranty on their trannies too. by the time you spend all the money involved buying the tools you need and all the manual tranny pieces/parts you can come out ahead just swapping out the AOD you have for a really good built one and have a much more fun time smoking the competition in their 5 speeds. and you won't ahve to ever worry about missing 3rd gear either, ain't that right OB? LOL
Old 09-16-2004, 07:37 PM
90lxhatch23

Its easy i have done it in my car. this website tell you how to do it and what you need.

http://www.wcfords.com/articles/tech/t5swap/t5swap.html
http://projecthp.ford23.com/howto.html
Old 09-17-2004, 04:02 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

90lx, thanks for emailing me that link. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for, excellent.

Anyway, in reply to roundman, I looked at that site you linked to, just out of curiosity, and it is $1,300 for their lowest model AOD tranny, and that's before shipping and anything else I would need to buy to do the swap.

I'm not exactly going to buy all new parts for this conversion, I think the only new things would be the shifter, Steeda Tri-Ax looks nice, the ****, and the boot and seal. I am planning on pulling the clutch parts and everything else from other Mustangs at the local yard, and am either going to pull a T-5 tranny as well, or buying a reman. one from a reliable source. Well, if anyone knows of a good place to buy remanufactured T-5's perhaps with a warranty as well, that information would be greatly appreciated.

:-)
Old 09-17-2004, 04:57 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Oh, BTW for the flywheel, should I get 28oz or 50oz imb.??
Old 09-17-2004, 01:04 PM
90lxhatch23

well what i put on my car was a 157 tooth 50 oz ford racing flywheel
Old 09-17-2004, 04:26 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

well I'll tell ya I would also vote for the automatic..your going to spend about 1k on that conversion and have an ole weak *** t-5 if driven hard and some track use you'll spend another 3-400 bucks in rebuilding it(t-5)..and to squash any misconception on the automatic you can't out shift one....and they are awhole lot easier on the drivetrain to say the least!! with the right convertor even you 60 foot times will drop and wheel speed well be kept in check...roundman and myself have been around the block some we have a ton of data to back up the automatic
Old 09-17-2004, 08:24 PM
gmkilla
1st Gear Member

i know the old guys have there good points about autos, but i know where your coming from too, nothing like driving a stick. Yeah the t-5 is weak, but either way, its fun to drive. The swap is really easy actually. All the holes already exist in the firewall, although you might have to move the speedo cable (mine was in the clutch cable hole.) The worst part is dropping the steering column to install the new pedal assembly, the rest, as long as you have all the parts is straight forward. If you have any specific questions ask and i'll be more help.
chris

Quick Reply: Automatic to Manual Tranny conversion, all help appreciated