5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

!!I Need How To For Valve Rocker/Valve Adjustment!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 04:33 AM
fablefifty

Default !!I Need How To For Valve Rocker/Valve Adjustment!!

I need a how to on adjusting valves/ rockers.. Im having some problems with my car and think this might be the problem... Thanks Alot..
Old 12-29-2006, 04:37 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: !!I Need How To For Valve Rocker/Valve Adjustment!!

piston to valve clearance should be checked then pushrod length should be checked. usually the minimum clearance will be longer on the exhaust side and shorter on the intake.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:40 AM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

you dont have to do all that if its just out of adjustment! Just tighten the open valve first, until you can rotate the pushrod in your finger.. should be tight, but loose enough to rotate. Then you turn the motor over to the next cylinder.. one by one until they are all the same tension. Then lock down your hex (if its roller rockers you have) and it should be close.. just some folling you have to do to get it right.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:47 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

when he asked about valves thats why i said to do the forementioned, the way you explained i agree is rocker to pushrod adjustment but not valve itself. i agree though, top dead center and adjust to where pushrod spins with slight but not serious bind. if he doesnt understand top dead center he can pull a plug on the first in firing order and be able to tell when its top dead center am i not right.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:55 AM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

oh ok I see.. I just thought the car was running already and started acting up.. if that is the case then he dosent need to check the clearance..I wasnt sure what the situation was exactly.

Yeah that sounds right to me what u said Ice or you can just eyeball it if the intake is off.. and the only real way to adjust the actual valve is new springs.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:59 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

thats correct and if hes having trouble finding top dead center, he can pull the belt and the plug on the first in firing order, stick a screwdriver in the hole and rotate the crank by hand until he feels it on the screwdriver tip and then mark the distributor for future refrence.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:10 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_1331836/tm.htm 3rd paragraph.

very easy to do,
Old 12-29-2006, 11:10 AM
wythors
2nd Gear Member

Why would a car withhydraulic lifters suddenly need adjustment? Do you have aftermarket roller rockers? The rocker arm lash is adjustable, but you can't "adjust the valves" on a 5.0 like you can with a solid lifter engine or an overhead cam one. If nothing's been touched, you're barking up the wrong tree. What's the problem you're trying to fix?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:40 PM
fablefifty

I rebuilt my motor and got some new roller rockers that are adjustable. someone in another thread said that itightened one to far because i said it was backfiring through the carb.. I was wondering the correct way to adjust these.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:00 PM
fablefifty

I was reading the page that aode06 posted up and it says to get them to zero lash.. ( tight enough but still able to turn with your fingers) then go 1/2 to 1 full turn then lock it down... do i leave it at zero lash like Edge_ of_Sanity was describing or do i tighten it more?

Quick Reply: !!I Need How To For Valve Rocker/Valve Adjustment!!