5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

head question?!

Old 12-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Mikeyz5.0
1st Gear Member

Default head question?!

86 5.0.. now i know thta i have E6 heads(not 100% sure but geussin cuz the car is stock) now i have 3 sets of ford(302 i think) heads each set has a different number/letter etc stamped on them is there any way i can find out which is better etc.. lookin for E7 mainly... asap help guys thanks! mikey
Old 12-29-2006, 10:56 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: head question?!

if your looking for E7 heads, your wasting your time. Look for nothing less than GT-40 heads

keep in mind that ANY head you install on your car will require you to either get your pistons notched, or get the bottom end rebuilt
Old 12-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Mikeyz5.0
1st Gear Member

well i am rebuildin the bottom end, forged 10.5 etc... and y does everyone keep tellin me i have to notch my pistons, i ran a 542 lift 240(i think) dur. cam with no problems i had to play with my cam timing but....... these heads are free, i plan on port polishin,biggers springs for the cam, maybe bigger valves(well see what my machine shop says aka my uncle hahaha) id just like to get some info on the heads so i can see which would be better for the rebuild
Old 12-29-2006, 11:15 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

If your not going to listen to the advise of a machinist (me) and also a technician (also me) then why the **** did you even ask?

oh and btw.. if you have to degree your cam to get it to work with no ptv issues... that IS a problem. you just went about solving it a different way
Old 12-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Mikeyz5.0
1st Gear Member

not listenin to ur advise is not what im doin, i also work as a tech(for ford), id like the gt-40 heads but for the price of the heads and the amount of head work i am gunna be doing just doesnt make sence to spend an extra 300$ for 5-7 hp.... id rather spend that money on fiberglass parts.. lookin for a way to look up the heads i have... from what im told E7 (87-93) were better flowin heads then E6... and from the little research i did the E7 flows almost as good as a set of GT-40's, i fig with the head work on a set of E7's id be more then happy with the outcome...hopefuly lol
Old 12-29-2006, 11:29 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Mikeyz5.0

not listenin to ur advise is not what im doin, i also work as a tech(for ford), id like the gt-40 heads but for the price of the heads and the amount of head work i am gunna be doing just doesnt make sence to spend an extra 300$ for 5-7 hp.... id rather spend that money on fiberglass parts.. lookin for a way to look up the heads i have... from what im told E7 (87-93) were better flowin heads then E6... and from the little research i did the E7 flows almost as good as a set of GT-40's, i fig with the head work on a set of E7's id be more then happy with the outcome...hopefuly lol
GT40 heads will definitly net you more than a 5-7hp difference, But im not going to sit here and argue with you. Ported GT40 heads can run deep into the 11's and boast 350+ rwhp... you wont see e7's doing that.

Your gonna spend more money on getting the e7 heads to have the same size valves as the gt-40s... then it would cost for you to just buy a set of gt-40s
Old 12-29-2006, 11:35 PM
stocksuspension
2nd Gear Member

ur a machinist?????????? what does a anneal mean?? if i have a 4.03 piston what do i bore to???
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

If your not going to listen to the advise of a machinist (me) and also a technician (also me) then why the **** did you even ask?

oh and btw.. if you have to degree your cam to get it to work with no ptv issues... that IS a problem. you just went about solving it a different way
Old 12-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Mikeyz5.0
1st Gear Member

alrigth bro thanks for the advise.. but back to the org. question on how can i find out what heads are what?
Old 12-29-2006, 11:38 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: stocksuspension

ur a machinist?????????? what does a anneal mean?? if i have a 4.03 piston what do i bore to???
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

cmon guy... everyone knows that annealing metal is when you heat it and slowly let it cool to soften the characteristics of the metal.
Its the opposite of hardening. when you heat it and cool it radiply
Old 12-29-2006, 11:41 PM
stocksuspension
2nd Gear Member

so what do i bore to if its anluminum block?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: head question?!