5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stereo kits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:19 PM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

Default stereo kits?

just wondering about those stereo kits that wal-mart sells and other places. are they any good? good instructions or anything? anyone ever used them? if they arin't good can anyone give me any links or whatever to a good kit to install a stero in my car. thanks guys!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:23 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: stereo kits?

i just grabbed the facia plate from circuit city. fits nicely. also dont bother getting the wiring harness adapters. i'll guaran-damn-tee that someone has hacked the wiring over the years. your going to have to splice it all yourself. i can provide you with wiring diagrams if you need. your new stereo should have a sticker on the top that tells you what each wire is for, then you use the diagram to find the right color, voila.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:31 PM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

i just grabbed the facia plate from circuit city. fits nicely. also dont bother getting the wiring harness adapters. i'll guaran-damn-tee that someone has hacked the wiring over the years. your going to have to splice it all yourself. i can provide you with wiring diagrams if you need. your new stereo should have a sticker on the top that tells you what each wire is for, then you use the diagram to find the right color, voila.
ya i can tell someone has hacked at the wiring because theres aftermarket speakers up front with speaker wire running to where the stereo is suppose to be. i have a wire stripper and works great, i've already stripped most of the wires as there arin't as many as i thought there would be. i would greatly apprechiate it if you provided me with the wiring diagrams. i read in a nother post that you did you stereo. was it pretty easy? also how long did it take and stuff? thanks!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:39 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

well, the stereo install took me about 2 hours, that included running around to different stores looking for a 5pack of 15amp fuses, instead of a multipak. keep in mind though, i've done about 75 stereo installs in the past 4 years, so i know the tricks.

if the wiring has already been fuked with, chances are, it was done wrong, just like mine. there is a stock amplifier for the stock radio, located directly behind the radio. this needs to be bypassed to be able to use the original wiring. many people, obviously including the previous owner of mine, just run new speaker wires instead of bypassing the amp, because of it's location. almost impossible to take out without removing the whole dash.

here's a little trick of the trade. to find the correct speaker & wiring for it, use a common household 9v battery. take the 2 ends of the wires, and touch them to each terminal on the battery. if you are holding the 2 correct wires for a speaker, it will make popping noises and static and such... i can tell you that the large yellow is constant power, the large red is the key-on power, and the black is obviously ground.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:47 PM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

well, the stereo install took me about 2 hours, that included running around to different stores looking for a 5pack of 15amp fuses, instead of a multipak. keep in mind though, i've done about 75 stereo installs in the past 4 years, so i know the tricks.

if the wiring has already been fuked with, chances are, it was done wrong, just like mine. there is a stock amplifier for the stock radio, located directly behind the radio. this needs to be bypassed to be able to use the original wiring. many people, obviously including the previous owner of mine, just run new speaker wires instead of bypassing the amp, because of it's location. almost impossible to take out without removing the whole dash.

here's a little trick of the trade. to find the correct speaker & wiring for it, use a common household 9v battery. take the 2 ends of the wires, and touch them to each terminal on the battery. if you are holding the 2 correct wires for a speaker, it will make popping noises and static and such... i can tell you that the large yellow is constant power, the large red is the key-on power, and the black is obviously ground.
i'll have plenty of time, just trying to get things set with the wires and such before i get the carpet, and my dad said that won't happen until after january, unless i can find some cheap stuff.so about that stock amplifier, its sorta hidden under the dash? if you don't mind could you sorta of explain where it is and such. sorry for being such a pain but i don't have anyone around here that can teach me this stuff etc. and i'll go try that thing with the 9volt if i can find one lol. i know where those wires are, they are already spliced and such so i know where they are. so you think you could send those wire diagrams or whatever? again sorry for my lack of knowing, but i gotta learn sometime and thanks!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:51 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

the stock amp is a silver box, look straight behind where the radio would sit, you'll see it.
there is 2 sets of wiring connectors going into it, 8 wires each. you can see them in the second picture below. if you are able to pull it out, circuit city or something like that should be able to provide you with the correct wiring harness to plug into both of those connectors, thus bypassing the amp.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53364/FF09613FAC184F4CBAB32DD92FFD16BD.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/53364/7E7EB27959FC4AB493827FBFD60EA6F4.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-31-2006, 06:58 PM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

the stock amp is a silver box, look straight behind where the radio would sit, you'll see it.
there is 2 sets of wiring connectors going into it, 8 wires each. you can see them in the second picture below. if you are able to pull it out, circuit city or something like that should be able to provide you with the correct wiring harness to plug into both of those connectors, thus bypassing the amp.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53364/FF09613FAC184F4CBAB32DD92FFD16BD.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/53364/7E7EB27959FC4AB493827FBFD60EA6F4.gif[/IMG]
thanks, apperantly i don't have the stock amp. theres no silver box back there. i'll go take a quick snap shot of it and see what you think. thanks for the wiring diagrams. sorry once again for me lacking the ability of knowing this stuff. thanks man!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:09 PM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

alright man i got some snap shots at the radio area. sorry if they arin't good or whatever. just go here and tell me what you think and what i could do. again sorry for my lack of knowledge of this stuff. thanks!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:16 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

looks like it's already been done. i dont see the amp there, so you should be good to go. use the diagram i gave you, it has all those colors that you have. piece of cake some speakers use the same ground wire, pay close attention to the diagram
Old 12-31-2006, 07:20 PM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

looks like it's already been done. i dont see the amp there, so you should be good to go. use the diagram i gave you, it has all those colors that you have. piece of cake some speakers use the same ground wire, pay close attention to the diagram
thanks a bunch man. i really apprechiate it. thats good news to hear. so all i pretty much need to do is follow the diagrams and i'll be set huh? sounds pretty easy. thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: stereo kits?