5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I got my car on stand, whats up with this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:09 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I got my car on stand, whats up with this?

I have worked on several types of cars, and I have all the tools to do the job, I just have never worked on the rear suspension of my mustang yet. Thanks for the tips guys. I am going to keep my springs and I found some KYB adjustables at a local parts provider. I guess I just need to find some new islolators. I seriously hope this improves my ride quality.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:11 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Woops, I forgot to ask. I saw a thread on here a while back where someone suggested removing the axle damper shocks. I was going to replace them, at the same time I replace the shocks. Can anyone elaborate on that?
Old 01-02-2007, 01:31 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

dont bother replacing them... just get new lower control arms... your car will thank you
Old 01-02-2007, 01:44 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

You need the quad shocks with the stock control arms. Otherwise you will have nasty wheelhop. If you replace the lowers with some nice tubulars/adjustables that have good bushings, you can likely remove the quad shock and not have wheel hop. This will allow for some wider meats out back as well.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:50 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Sweet!!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Wild_Side

Here is the TSB from Ford if you have not seen it yet.
----------------------------------------------------

90ford47
SPRINGS - VEHICLE LEAN - APPLICATION CHARTS - EXCLUDES "SALEEN" MODELS
Article No. 90-26-3
FORD: 1989-90 MUSTANG
ISSUE: Vehicles may have a tendency to lean to the left because the location of the battery, windshield washer bottle, radiator expansion bottle and engine accessory drive may cause a weight bias on the left front side. This lean condition most often appears as a lean in the rear of the vehicle rather than the front.

ACTION: Check the wheel lip measurement and, if required, install a new left front spring to restore the vehicle to a more level attitude. The front spring is to be changed, even if the lean is greater in the rear of the vehicle. Refer to the following procedure for service details.
Figure 1

1. Place the vehicle on level ground.

2. Take all measurements from the ground to the body wheel lips as close to the axle center line as possible, Figure 1.

3. Determine the difference of the front wheel lip measurements by substracting the low from the high measurement. Using the following Wheel Lip Measurement Chart. select the correct spring load change (i.e. plus 1. plus 2) within the rate group.

4. After determining the correct spring change (i.e. plus 1 or plus 2) find the three letter tape code located on the front spring of the side that exhibits the lean and select the replacement spring using the following charts.

The following 1989-1990 Mustang Rear Spring Chart is provided for general informational purposes only. Generally, the rear springs will not have to be replaced unless there is damage or structural concerns.

(*) Code is also in Parts Book.

5. Remeasure the vehicle as described in Steps 1 and 2. Confirm that the vehicle is in specification per the Wheel Lip Measurement Chart. If the vehicle is not to specification (0.00" +/- 0.20"), repeat Step 3 through 5.

Within a rate group, installing a high load spring will increase the vehicle ride height. Conversely, a lower load spring will decrease the vehicle ride height. The following Spring Change bumper Effect Chart indicates an approximate change in bumper-to-ground height for each increment of spring change.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: None

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Basic Warranty Coverage
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
902603A Replace Spring 1.2 Hr.
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
5310 63
OASIS CODES: 304000

----------------------------------------------------
Also make sure the rear springs are sitting correctly in their perch as rotating them can make a difference in how it sits. And some people have used spacers and/or cut springs to make it all work.