5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

smog pump removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default smog pump removal

Hey, I was wondering, I've heard a lot about excluding the smog pump. But what I want to know are what are the consequences. If I get a shorter belt and route it to exclude the smog pump, my car will run as good if not better right? My state no longer requires the vehicle emissions testing every year, so if it pollutes slightly more, I don't mind, my car will not melt the glaciers.

Also, is there something else I need to disable? Would my car give me problems because it detects something wrong with the smog pump? I am also buying a egr eliminator device that plugs into the egr sensor that sends a "closed" signal back to the computer to keep the "check engine light," or "malfunction indicator lamp" off. Is there something else I would need to do?

Also, my combination of aftermarket pulleys from Steeda requires a 6-ribbed belt with the length of 888, anyone know what size I would need, or how to figure out what size belt I would need after eliminating the smog pump?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: smog pump removal

Ok the smog pump system is basically a power stealer and it was the first mod i did. first you must remove the intake tubing to get to the smog pump. then you must unbolt all the turbing that goes to and from the pump, it is useless and is not monitored by any sort of computer because it comes after the headers. after that you must plug up every hole, these include: the hole that goes to the heads (visit my site it has a pic), the hole near the cats (get under your car you will know what im talking about), and you must also plug up vacuum lines that you unplugged from the valves on the pump system. you can leave those things hanging. lastly the EGR valve vacuum line is unplugged as to not let the valve open to the air when the car produces vacuum. plug that hole too. you should not get a check engine light by doing any of this, as i did not. for the pulleys dont get any belt they tell you too because every car is different, you need to buy the pullies first, install them and then take 3 or 4 trips to pep boys and narrow down the exact size belt you need, thats the only real way to determine belt size. you could also wrap string around the pulleys and do it that way, but subtract half an inch from the string length.

dont forget that when your smog system is offline, sh-t can build up in your cats as time goes by, so buy a pair of catless h-pipe and headers. you will be rockin ***** after these mods...
Old 09-20-2004, 02:24 AM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hm, sounds easy but time consuming, this is going to have to wait until I get some other things done.

Thanks though!
Old 09-20-2004, 03:38 AM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: Dbeck002

dont forget that when your smog system is offline, sh-t can build up in your cats as time goes by, so buy a pair of catless h-pipe and headers. you will be rockin ***** after these mods...
Are you sure about the cats getting backed up? I want to do this mod as well, Blueoval has an eliminator for 49.00 and you can use your stock belt. You just remove and plug up all of the crap you listed.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:37 AM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

I wish New York didnt require emissions. =( Anyone know if some states are backing off on the emissions testing?
Old 09-22-2004, 08:48 AM
offnet83
2nd Gear Member

IM in KY im not aware of any testing... there is a lot more room after you get rid off all that pollution control crap under your hood as well
Old 09-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Fishhawk
2nd Gear Member

First you don't have to remove it. Just bypass it. Take a string and run it through the pullys but eliminate the smog pump. Cut the string and take it to your local parts store. Measure it and they should have a belt to fit. Very easy. The main problem with the cats is not that they will plug up, its that they will burn up. (1000 degrees or more) The Smog Pump is there for one reason only. To blow cool air into the cats. Most people that do the Smog Pump bypass also pull off their cats.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:10 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fishhawk

First you don't have to remove it. Just bypass it. Take a string and run it through the pullys but eliminate the smog pump. Cut the string and take it to your local parts store. Measure it and they should have a belt to fit. Very easy. The main problem with the cats is not that they will plug up, its that they will burn up. (1000 degrees or more) The Smog Pump is there for one reason only. To blow cool air into the cats. Most people that do the Smog Pump bypass also pull off their cats.
the smog pump is blowing extra air with OXYGEN in it to the cats so they can burn up the unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust gases, not cool air to keep them cool. they are designed to run hot in order to work correctly.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Demon_Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Uuuhhhhh, uh oh, argument, so which one is it? Do I need to take off the cats or not? It's not a big problem to remove the cats, but just want to know once and for all whether or not it's necessary. I have a simple mind, so I need simple answers.

haha, j/k guys, but still, what is the concensus, would I or would I not need to remove the cats if I do exclude the smog pump?

Thanks for all the help so far though.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:37 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

if you don't have to pass any emissions testing, then lose the cats in addition to the smog pump and the egr valve too. I took them all off my racer but then I'm not trying to pass any tests either.

Quick Reply: smog pump removal